I am looking to make my old laptop into my Pico8 laboratory using Tiny Core Linux. The OS is blazing fast but does come with many hoops to jump through before being semi usable - no wifi at first, then sound, then weird resolution, and even now I can't seem to log into lexaloffle.com using chromium as the navbar is missing.

Alas, I have managed to deal with all of the issues (save for navbar - used Firefox for to cheat my way out), logged into my acc here, downloaded Pico8, Voxatron and Swarm Racer. I run pico from the terminal and it did fire up, with sound, albeit seemed like I had only a quarter of the screen actually being used, with the rest being black but the cursor would move to this portion of the screen; I managed to get it to run properly (as far as I can tell - windowed and full window used, just like my Ubuntu setup), and the input works as expected except Esc, Enter (main or numlock one). Maybe other keys too, but I can't verify since I can't input any command or hit Esc to jump away from the terminal into GUI.

Anyone has any idea on where I should look/what to google to figure this one out? I'd like to point out there was a terminal printout on the original run (with the messed up screen), but I could not read it properly since the machine is ancient and it ground to a halt on the first run and I couldn't swap windows or exit Pico8, however I did see that it was a 3 liner output with last part mentioning input.

Maybe it's worth noting how after the initial run and after I rebooted my OS seemed to have reset or lost it's config file as I had to setup various stuff again, but Pico seemed to run normally after got it down to windowed mode; also - Voxatron and Swarm Racer won't display anything. I can navigate the menu and I hear the menu sounds and such, but there is no video output at all. If I press Esc both Vox and Swarm will quit and I will be able to resume normal operation on the OS - so the keys do work with Vox but no video output, while in Pico everything seems to be there except the system keys

P#50806 2018-03-25 16:08 ( Edited 2018-03-25 20:08)

Greetings from 2020!

Anyway, I wanted to try Pico-8 on Tiny Core Linux for quite some time and this gave some insight into the past of somebody who at least tried to get it working.

I hope somebody eventually gets it working on Tiny Core for real. Although, nowadays there is CorePlus, which makes installing Tiny Core a bit easier...and getting Wi-Fi on easier as well.

However, I would say you've moved on by now, so I don't know if you successfully fixed the issues or not. I kinda hope so though.

P#80265 2020-08-02 18:14

[Please log in to post a comment]