Cart #carrotup-1 | 2024-08-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Carrot Up is a cute shmup!

🥕 you're a carrot in a bunny's dream
🐰 satisfy hungry bunnies by throwing carrot tops at them
💥 beware! If you don't feed them fast enough, they'll come bite you and throw dust bunnies at you
🧃 collect juice boxes and choose between restoring HP or making a big spread shot of baby carrots (bunny satisfaction guaranteed)

Controls

• use arrows to move
  • use X to shoot carrot tops
  • use Z to spread-shoot baby carrots
  • use P or enter to pause

Juice Boxes

Collect carrot juice boxes and use z to shoot carrot babies! The more boxes you save, the more baby carrots your spread shot will contain. Or collect up to 5 boxes to restore one health - if you have all your HP, collecting 5 boxes will grant you extra points! ✨

THEM

They're bunnies. Hungry, gourmet bunnies. They all have different ways to show you they really, really want yummy food: impatiently throwing dust bunnies in front of them, zig-zag their way out, shooting lots of dust bunnies at you, or even zooming right at you, ...

Behind the scenes & credits

Carrot Up was made following Lazy Devs' Shump Pico-8 tutorial for beginners*. It's a great tutorial, 100% would recommend! The architecture and code are from the tutorial, and I created the theme, art & audio and tweaked the design here and there to make the game more friendly for chill/casual gamers like myself :)

Special thanks to my friend Fletch (@ FletchMakes) for suggesting this tutorial to me and for playtesting my little game!

*You can find the tutorial here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLea8cjCua_P3Sfq4XJqNVbd1vsWnh7LZd&si=4X6gR7ea9BK3uoez

You did such a great job!!! You should feel very proud. It's an incredibly well made and polished first PICO-8 game 💪

Very cool! I didn't even think of creating my own version of Cherry bomb when I did the tutorial. So the fact it's all your own work is a great thing! Gold Star.

@thesailor Thank you so much, that's so kind!

@fletch_pico I can't stress enough how much that means to me, thank you so much friend!

Such a cute and clever theme! Enjoyed playing it :)

@gingersaurus Thank you so much! I'm glad you had fun :D

This is an excellent game! The sprites look good, and the music is charming. The sound effects and explosions feel really smooth, and its fun to play.

@derpyworm2 Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed playing it! :D

[Please log in to post a comment]