Cart #bupinehoha-4 | 2024-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a submarine game I'm working on where you use sonar to detect your enemy and try to hit them with a torpedo. Sonar waves work and echo, torpedos, bubble particle effects, and collision detection are all present so far. I'm still thinking through all the mechanics but I think there's good potential.

Update 7.16: Turning animation for changing x direction. Collisions with explosion animation for torpedos. Enemy is now invisible. Full acceleration and decceleration physics but this could be cleaner with a friction multiplier.

Update 7.18: You can now battle the enemy sub and they have some very simple AI to sonar and try to find you and hit you. Also some simple scrolling background waves.

You didn't include the cart in your post! Insert [# cart_id #] into the post, but replace cart_id with the id of your cart, and remove the spaces.

Ahhh thank you!

Thanks for sharing! That's a nice game idea. It's already pretty scary when a sonar reveals the enemy close by, or you notice how fast it's moving, or - that one caught me by surprise - that the enemy can also use sonar to detect you! I guess a characteristic sonar sound would increase the immersion even more. I managed to hit the enemy in the end, but I felt that submarine movement was quite fast, while torpedos move quite slow.

@pdog thanks for the feedback! I’m still very much dipping my toes as far as the sound/music capabilities of pico. Also likewise thank you for mentioning the movement and torpedo speeds. I also want to refactor the acceleration/deceleration code to use a friction multiplier like what’s used in this tutorial:

https://nerdyteachers.com/PICO-8/Game_Mechanics/?tutorial=10

That code is far simpler than the mess of weird checks I have going on right now.

[Please log in to post a comment]