Cart #starwars_nosnibor28-1 | 2020-01-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

UPDATE 2020/01/22

v0.2 adds cockpit graphics, laser sprites (as opposed to continuous lines) with that nice orange-red look, and you can hit the enemies now! No energy limits, enemy fire, or increasing difficulty yet, and the camera is still a little bit janky, but it's coming along.

ORIGINAL POST

I'm mostly posting this so my pals in the Applecart Challenge don't think I'm a total slacker lol. Two things got me this week: a busy schedule and scope creep.

When I first saw the video of Apple II Star Wars, I thought it looked like a distant ancestor of Rebel Assault. So naturally I decided to make my version a little closer to that. I wanted the TIE Fighters to shoot back, too! Instead of just being limited by weapon power, you'll also have a shield meter. Weapon power will regenerate when you aren't firing, but more fighters will appear the longer you fly.

So, grand intentions but not enough time to implement. (sigh) I might skip the next challenge and keep working on this one, though, since it brought up a lot of great memories. I actually started thinking back fondly on Star Wars for the first time in a good while, reminiscing way back to the '90s when all we had was the original trilogy and a bunch of great games like Rebel Assault and Dark Forces...

Anyway! For now you can fly around with the directional buttons (y-inverted, of course). The crosshair kind of "pulls" your ship in that Rebel Assault way, so you can move around just a little. Let go of the controls and your ship will drift back to center. TIEs will come at you, and you can shoot with Z, but you can't hit anything yet. ;-)

P#72085 2020-01-19 14:18 ( Edited 2020-01-23 01:42)

nice! :) looking forward to play the final version :)

P#72101 2020-01-19 19:25

Indeed, this is really nice ! Instead of staying the same size the Tie-Fighters zoom in and warp out giving a nice and realistic 3D appearance to them. The stars move with the target scanner and I like how the lasers pulse too, an interesting idea of a cross-section.

Yep, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of this cart. Well done, @Nosnibor28, keep it up - and Gold Star for you !

P#72111 2020-01-19 23:01 ( Edited 2020-01-19 23:06)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 14:34:40 | 0.023s | Q:19