Cart #oscars_adventure-0 | 2024-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Collect coins and race against the clock as you traverse 4 unique levels in Oscar's Adventure! Do you have what it takes to beat the fastest times?

Controls

Action Keyboard
Move Left/Right
Jump Z/C
Crouch Down
Slide Down + X
Pause Enter/P

Pro Tips

• When you jump while performing a slide you can carry the speed of the slide into the air. Try using this technique to reach those hard-to-get coins.
  • Press Pause to access some additional options, like toggling the ghost player and Restarting the level.

• The Gold medal is the fastest time you can view for each level, but there is another hidden medal that's even faster than Gold. Do you have what it takes to beat the Platinum time?

Premise

This is not my first PICO-8 project, but it's the first one I'm releasing to the BBS, and possibly my most "complete" P8 game to date. For that, I'm very excited! I hope others find it fun as well.

There are no enemies or health bars in Oscar's Adventure. The challenge is to reach the goal as quickly as possible, or to collect all of the coins in the level.

Let me know what you think!

Great one! I love the polish - especially the medal system reminds me of trackmania, which always got me to try again and again. I really like the menus and previews!
I'm not a fan or not yet used to the inertia of the player, it feels a bit floaty to me-but that is obviously subjective and a question of preferences.
But all in all: Great game! Would love to see more of your projects!

really cool game! i'm enjoying completing all tasks, it needs more leves! :D

@nicegame I'm glad you're enjoying it!

@taxicomics Thanks for the excellent feedback! I agree that the character control is a bit floaty. I'd like to refine the control a bit more if I make another platformer in the future.

this is amazing, looks very good and is extremely fun!

how do you get the big coin on the first level ? ive got all the rest which were pretty simple but this one seems impossible to me ?

An extra tip!

Holding Down and Z will allow you to clip through platforms while descending, which may be faster than crouching through.

@bigjus Thanks for playing through all the levels! My tip for that coin is to use the slide-jump technique. By quickly jumping out of your slide, you can carry the speed of the slide from the top of the hill to the top of the palm tree. I also added coyote time, so you can delay your jump a bit after sliding off the ledge.
Here's a clip if you want to see a demonstration:

thanks , i was trying this multiple times but just couldnt get it to work !

(super spoiler message)

wow! there's a Secret Special Medal??? Crazy. (14.56 moody manor)
also spamming that dash jump is just so fun.

wow, underrated game, cool

The character animation is delightful. I also liked the "incentive" to not waste time when you replay the level, nice feature.

[Please log in to post a comment]