Cart #docs-5 | 2024-09-15 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Docs currently doesn't work on the BBS.

Updating

Docs now can check for and update it's pages from multiple sources. Update to the latest cart to get the latest documentation.

Installation

In the terminal run load #docs and then save it with save apps/docs.p64

Introduction

Docs has been built so that it can be a helpful companion while you code. It is built so that others can add their own files to docs if their app requires documentation.

Note

The Picotron documentation is currently being added, and so the current version has incomplete information. If you would like to help write the documentation feel free to reach out to me.

It's been a pleasure to work on the GUI for this project; the docs are incomplete, but I think they’re already among the best out there.
Let's go Hess!

"To create a shortcut on the toolbar [...] localise your system" -- wait, what?? this is crazy advice to be giving people on page 1. you should put some huge disclaimers on that -- when picotron updates, your system might break, it will be out of date, etc. (ah, I see that #localsys's BBS page has some good warnings. but this cart needs some too IMO)

some easy alternatives, without all the footguns:

• you can drag the app into desktop2 to make it easily clickable at anytime
  • you can save it as /appdata/system/util/docs.p64 to let you run it anytime from the commandline as docs

anyway. this project looks very cool! the ability to add custom docs is really nifty, and the data format is dead simple, which is huge. just text, with easy code fences. (odd syntax tho, I would expect triple-backticks like markdown. oh, and clicking on multi-line examples (see tline3d) doesn't work properly)

It might be nice if there were some way to automatically find pages with line-wrapping problems -- e.g. tline3d

This will be a boon during development. Fantastic work!

Hey Pancelor,

In the latest update we've fixed and added your suggestions. Thankyou so much for enjoying our little project :)

is there a way to contribute to the docs when it comes to the API (by adding to the cart that people can download with load #docs) or can you only add your own documentation?

@HappyYoyo09 Next version we’re planning to add functionality for downloading and updating docs from custom urls, but at the moment, the best way to add docs for your cart, is to include your docs in your cart and copy them to appdata/docs/pages that first time your cart runs.

@Hessery thanks for the clarification!

It doesn't work at the current time...

Hey @Hibou, what seems to be your problem?

Problem sloved. I just needed to update picotron.

I thought it would be useful to be able to select and copy parts of a document.
For example, being able to do that would allow it to function as a snippet in addition to explaining a feature.

@sugarflower We decided to just have plain text for cpu purposes.
btw you can click a code snippet and it copies it to your clipboard!

This is just my opinion, so I hope you will understand that this is one way of thinking about it.
Let's say you have a long, standard piece of code like the one in the image.

It's a bit long, and there's likely to be a lot of code like this, so I thought it might be possible to manage it all together.

I have confirmed that you can copy it by using ">" to make it a code snippet. I was wondering if you could consider how to expand the scope of this to multiple lines of larger code.
Thanks for reading.

Hey @sugarflower,

If you’re docs are up to date, using > over multiple lines will combine the lines into a single code block, so that you can click any line and the whole block will be copied to your clipboard.

I hope that helps 😊

I see! Thank you. I'll try it right away. I'm looking forward to it :⁠-⁠)

[Please log in to post a comment]