Cart #oopsairlines-1 | 2024-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

NOTE
Looks like the web player isn't launching the game. Seems like it's caused by an issue with high-memory video remapping (documented on another BBS post). To play the game, try #load oopsairlines-1 in your PICO-8 terminal! You can also click here to play in your browser.

Introduction

OOPS Airlines needs your help!

After the terrible ClownShrike virus shut down all of the airport's systems, it up to you, the sole air-traffic controller, to manually direct flights to the runway!

Carefully plan routes for each plane - but watch out! Once a flight path is connected to the airport, it cannot be altered. Plan wisely to guide the incoming flights to safety!

Controls

• Arrow keys - pan the camera around, or switch between focused flights
  • Z/C - place a node on the map
  • X - zoom out
  • P - open the pause menu (tutorial and settings found here)
    • Arrow keys to navigate, ENTER to select an option

About

This game is a submission to LOWREZJAM 2024! It was made in 2 weeks. The optional theme I chose to go with was "All Systems Are Down". I was inspired by Flash browser games I used to play as a kid with similar gameplay.

Credits

• Fletch - art, programming, sound effects
  • Fettuccini - background music (find it here)
  • My Twitch and Discord communities - playtesting and feedback

Updates

• v1.1 - Aug 19: fix airport landing zone to be easier to select

• v1.0 - August 14: initial release

Looks like the web player isn't launching the game. My suspicion is that it's caused by the new inverted draw operations that were introduced in 0.2.6. To play the game, try #load oopsairlines-1 in your PICO-8 terminal!

Odd that the webplayer isn't working. I tried it out on my local Pico and I really enjoyed it.

Your cart has a real charm. Its great fun making little flight paths for each of the planes and letting them amble about the screen. Its lovely watching them, in zoomed-out mode, as they follow their instructions and head in to the airport.

The only downside is that as a game it isn't very challenging. You could make the airport a bit more unforgiving as currently I think I can land more than one plane at a time. I also wish that the planes flew for a bit longer in "watching mode" so I have more time to look around at what each of them are doing.

Really nice cart though. Great stuff

One last thing, you have a slight typo on your instructions as to how to load from the Pico executable. It should be:

LOAD #oopsairlines-1

@phil thanks for the kind words! I definitely agree I could make it more challenging - this was made in 2 weeks for LOWREZJAM so maybe in the future I'll revisit with new levels and challenges! I've documented for myself a few features I'd like to add 💜

I'll go ahead and update the instructions! Thanks! I got too accustomed to the way Picotron loads carts, where it grabs the latest update and you don't need the "-version" suffix on the cart.

These type of draw-the-path games are favorites of mine on the tablets and you managed to translate that wonderfully here with the simple controls. Well done in transcribing that mechanism.

I hope you consider taking this one further as it's unique amongst the buffet of other games.

I might suggest going with normal rez in any future versions. I get this one was for a jam - and it works impressively well for the lowrez - but I think the normal 128x would add a lot and let you expand more.

Also, if you just do the #load command without the version flag, it will grab the latest version. Just doing #load oopsairlines is enough.

[Please log in to post a comment]