Cart #caped_feline_arena-4 | 2023-06-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Finally "done" :)

> You awake from your rest in the void with a voice repeating in your head.
> It says: 'meow meow meow meow mexow' and you know what must be done:
> It's time to retrieve the book of Magu F'ahn.

You're a cat, you're magical, it's you and your wand against insurmountable odds, cats, and infinite pigeons.

A retro fps with 8 singleplayer maps and 3 "botmatch" maps. Select maps from main menu, all botmatch maps unlocked from the start, singleplayer maps unlock as you complete them.

You can also play this on the PICO-8 BBS

Controls

• Arrow keys - move (strafe if mouselook enabled)
  • Z/C - strafe/sidestep (hold, then press left and right, unused with mouselook enabled)
  • X - shoot

Note: mouselook does not work on the BBS version. Please use the pico-8 app, or the itch.io version of CFA

Credits

​License​

Source is licensed under The 2 Clause BSD License.
Assets are licensed under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International​ ​https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Old bits and bobs from 2020-2021 original post

I'm still working on this (-300- nope - 5 tokens left :D ) - let me know what you think here or on my Twitter - there might be bugs and/or unexplainable weirdness!

You're a cat, you're magical, you're in a duel with the finest feline magic practitioners the realm has to offer. Grab your wand and enter the arena!

Controls

• Arrow keys - move
  • X - strafe/sidestep (press left and right)
  • Z/C - shoot

Use the PICO-8 menu to disable AI to wander round the maps, and to toggle overhead view.

What's new?

12 July 2020

FIXED crash bug when dropping the quad

11 July 2020

• ADD single player red+blue keys+doors!!!! Check single player test map for an example
  • FIXED showing scoreboard upon being frogged in single player.
  • No more tokens left!

09 July 2020

• ADD light viewbob
  • ADD damage indicator
  • ADD new map Tower Of Confusion
  • ADD basic single player map support (with sample map)
  • ADD 1 second delay on scoreboard
  • ADD 1 second invulnerability on respawn
  • CHANGED cat AI tries to find a wand if possible/pick up your stuff after frogging
  • CHANGED player movement
  • CHANGED minor texture improvements
  • FIXED Particles obey zbuffer
  • FIXED Sounds cutting off
  • FIXED Cats using incorrect palette when far away

Since April (v early itch.io release) I have:

• Added several maps
  • Rewrote chunks of the graphics for more speed and more complex geometry
    -- diagonal walls
    -- working overhang textures
    -- faster ceiling rendering
    -- tline() floors/sky
    -- tall ceiling indoor spaces
    -- doubled texture limit from 16 to 32
  • Added 3 extra wands, and items
  • Improved sounds
  • Better AI
  • Better controls

Still to do

• More maps
  • Map editing guide
  • More sounds
  • More textures
P#78599 2020-06-28 05:12 ( Edited 2023-06-21 23:07)

Post-Release Comments

Is there any way to switch weapons, besides running out of ammo?

P#130863 2023-06-12 20:40

1) i don't know where the hell am i going because all blocks are same if there's map it's easier but when i played this i just wandering over and over again and memorized map
2) no cross hair, difficult to aim
3) no way to recognize enemy behind me until i get shot
4) have to memorize all of enemies, hard to avoid bullet due to limitation

https://armorgames.com/darkraid-delilah-game/19310 i think this can be good reference, if you making doom like stuff

P#130932 2023-06-14 10:43 ( Edited 2023-06-14 15:07)

@joealarson no, running out of ammo or picking up a different weapon is the only way. I did this to try to support to pico-8s 6 button layout (not including the pause button, although I know this was an option). Tried to balance things that there wasn't a "bad" choice, but broadly in terms of damage/ease of use it goes bombwand > chainwand / double-barreled wand (tied) > starting wand.

@OWD5238 most encounters require at least some circle strafing - this should minimise getting jumped by enemies/them getting behind you. I'll patch in the keyboard controls to honour the sensitivity setting (based on the original comment). The directional damage indicator + enemy barks upon "seeing" you are alerts that an unseen enemy has engaged you.

Thank you both for playing!

P#130957 2023-06-14 22:09

This is so cool. I love the enemy sprites

P#131167 2023-06-20 15:35

i really like this, although the mouselock doesnt work? im on a web player btw if that changes anything

P#131198 2023-06-21 15:39

@PUNKWEIGHTINTRO Thanks! They started life in a much older game of mine and then served as placeholder until I just designed the theme of the game around cats.

@851523 Thanks! Had to double-check about the mouselook, but there is no mouse support in the BBS version. I checked POOM and Trial Of The Sorcerer and they behave the same. Trial Of The Sorcerer instructions note that mouse controls do not work - I will update above. They do work however on the itch version - https://powersaurus.itch.io/caped-feline-arena or in the pico-8 app itself.

P#131207 2023-06-21 23:06

Very cool, feels like a fever dream. The graphics, the trippy music, everything's dark and those scary giant cats awaiting behind every corner. Nice!

P#137848 2023-11-24 07:30

[Please log in to post a comment]