Cart #gonidubufi-0 | 2024-06-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

no-way-out is a retro style puzzle game. You wake up alone in a strange room, can you find you way out?

Controls

• arrow keys - movement
  • Z/C - grab block / use item
  • X/V - cycle through items

About

This is the first game I made for a game jam and the first complete game made with Pico8!

Pretty good overall. The controls are a bit clunky, and I would think that the diagonal perspective enables that to occur. I am not sure a good way to fix it besides reorienting the field, or to allow the player to move between tiles. Nice work!

@Squishy178 thank you for playing and taking the time to write a comment! It's definitely one of the limitations of the graphics I've chosen.
What comes to mind are the controls of an old game that also had this perspective, Loderunner 2, that actually used the numpad keys 7, 9, 1, 3!

Clever mechanics that reveal new things about rooms that initially appeared solved. If it had gone on for longer the controls would have become tedious, but for a game of this length they're fine and allow a different perspective. Gold star. My main worry was that the light source might be time-limited, but I gather it isn't.

@Cowirrie Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed the game!

Stumbled my way to victory with only 1 out of 3? maps. Last map I got on 2nd play was the one telling about the passageway under the boxes that I found 1st try when reaching the room and tidying it up...
I was 100% sure there had to be a use for turning the lamp back off and tried it in every room to no avail. Did also some early blind map making by moving in a circle and deducting where the walls were if I didn't finish where I started. Liked the game, even if I clearly didn't play/solved it as intended.

@RealShadowCaster having objects hidden by light, that's actually a very interesting idea!
The decision to not place hard progress constraints on "discovering" stuff in the game was definitely intentional, in a sense - and also useful for testing faster! I didn't really expect others to figure it out without at least some clues (like the sound when a block is placed on a hidden switch) and I'm glad people who like to explore can get a different experience from it.
I have to say, for someone to beat the game by exploration and have a profile picture of a space filling curve is amazing, it fits so well xD.
Thanks for playing the game and the great idea!

[Please log in to post a comment]