Cart #overdrived-1 | 2024-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

OVERDRIVEd

by lights+blue

HOW TO PLAY

There's some alien invasion or something (idk make a head canon you can do it) and you need to drive over them.
Hit enemies and avoid the bullets fired in order to progress through the endless wave system (well it actually crashes at around 5000 i think), which introduces unique enemies with different patterns to learn.
Chain hitting your enemies in either a fast pace or through a drift in order to mantain a combo and score big. Do note that combos go away quickly in this game, and only go up to x8.
If you got hit 3 times, you fail, but you regain 1hp at the end of each wave, and if you and a wave with full health, you get a free 50pts!

CONTROLS

• You can use ️◀️ and ▶️ to steer the car (well I guess it is more of a truck)
  • By holding 🔽 the car will drift, and will continue to slide with the same velocity you started with until you let go, and when you do let go it forces your car to boost in the direction that it is facing.
  • The car also steers faster while drifting so it is a good method to quickly get out of the way of incoming bullets, or confuse the blue/X enemies.
  • You can also press 🔼 to boost the car, which is great if you need to quickly hit enemies to end a round.
  • There are also various settings available, with 3 control layouts, a photosensitive (removes all if not most flashing effects) and colourblind mode (makes everything black and white and puts symbols over the different enemy types' head) if needed.

(EDIT): If playing on mobile or controller, go to the pause menu and press 'Change Controls' twice, which will set boosting and drfting to ❎ and 🅾️.

INFO

The original inspiration was from hearing a mod for The Binding of Isaac where you play as a car. I found the idea of throwing car controls into a game funny, but also pretty interesting as well.
I then started working on OVERDRIVE in December 2023 as my first PICO-8 project in order to understand how to use it (so the code may be a bit spaghetti), but I ended up continuing to make it until it was fully playable, part of this process was me trying to make it so that the truck is still 'controllable' for a game like this, hence the way drifting works.
Later, in 2024, I decided to polish up by adding a few features, rushed the cover image, (and added a d at the end of the name because there were no results for a search for 'overdrived')

CREDITS

All of the music, spritework and code is by me (lights+blue)
Feel free to use the music and other assets (but some credit would be nice)

GIFS

(my pb is 4880 btw gl and enjoy :) )

Pretty good! But the drift and boost aren't really good on mobile. Still, solid game!

If you don't like using up and down for boosting and drifting, you can pause the game and press 'Change Controls' twice to set those actions to the action buttons.

[Please log in to post a comment]