I don't know if any of you have experience in this, but i think this would be a good fit for the pico8. It's about a 40 game device that looks like a game boy.

P#58964 2018-11-12 12:39 ( Edited 2018-11-17 07:48)

Sorry, the specs look too low, and it's using a different CPU architecture than is currently supported by the available versions of Pico-8. Even if zep built a new version I don't think it's powerful enough.

I'd enjoy being corrected if someone has more info. I gather that the ODroid is based on the ESP32 microcontroller, which uses the Xtensa architecture, and has limited (520 KB?) RAM and a slower processor than I've seen run Pico-8 (240 MHz? 600 MIPS?). I'm impressed that it runs an assortment of game machine emulators, which would suggest that some basic libraries that Pico-8 uses like SDL and wiringPi might have been ported, maybe?

Does the ODroid run an Xtensa Linux of some kind? The name and the use of the Android logo imply that it's running Android. The Arduino IDE thing is confusing me but probably doesn't imply anything specific. :)

The price is certainly compelling, even just for a low end programmable handheld.

P#58981 2018-11-13 02:14 ( Edited 2018-11-13 07:15)

Yeah, that sucks. I was hoping it would run, it would be a perfect device to play pico8 on.

I think this is some kind of linux distro of some kind, it has the raspberry pi emulation software running on it but i know it's modded.

P#58996 2018-11-14 09:13 ( Edited 2018-11-14 14:13)

You inspired me to get one. :)

My general first impression is it's not quite as solid for emulation as other options, but it's fun enough and the price is right. It gets bonus points for being so easy to assemble. It's actually pretty refined in terms of design, even if it's otherwise cheap parts. Buttons are fine, rubber membrane pads as usual, tinny little speaker and no headphone jack. Thin and small, not too hard to hold for short gaming sessions.

I'm impressed with the hacking community that has formed around this thing. Some decent tutorials and interesting projects on the forums. I don't see anything like a general purpose OS, though the firmware capabilities seem sophisticated. It's got built-in USB-serial which I can use to watch log messages scroll by, and it's all open source.

Still a hard no on Pico-8. There's lots of hackability but it's all done with ESP32 microcontroller firmware. Someone might be able to write a Pico-8 interpreter from scratch and compile it for the ESP, but I'm not signing up for that any time soon.

I prefer the GameShell, but for the price of a GameShell I can get four Odroids, which is simply impressive. Credit where credit is due!

P#59100 2018-11-17 02:48 ( Edited 2018-11-17 07:48)

I own one, and I admit it's pretty awesome. Several "cores" can be flashed on it, including a fully usable C64 emulator (Frodo), with it's virtual keyboard and drive emulation.

I understand the ESP32 isn't powerful enough for PICO8 nevertheless I would dream of a port to the Odroid Go platform, as it's really the perfect form factor for it.

P#60620 2019-01-06 12:23

The Odroid Go appears to have 4 MiB of RAM (https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go/odroid_go), which should be just enough to run PICO-8. The CPU may be slightly underpowered, but maybe with LuaJIT a PICO-8 implementation could fit in it.

P#60676 2019-01-08 08:43

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 12:58:23 | 0.006s | Q:17