I'm going to get to the point here.

1. How do you update? It seems almost all the games not predownloaded are incompatible

2. How do you import and export .P8 files?

3. Dev Kit Mouse. I've seen people talk about it a while ago. Is there any news on that? Is it possible to macgyver the GPIO or USB port to get it to work with a mouse?
P#60358 2018-12-25 22:26

1. I haven't tried it, but there's a third party hosting the latest files via apt-get. This likely does not include the very latest Pico-8, but there's a newer build than what came stock with the PocketCHIP. Trying to do a full update via archived material is too rich for my blood, but I vaguely recall being able to get a newer Pico-8 via apt-get. https://web.archive.org/web/20180918185617/https://bbs.nextthing.co/t/how-to-update-my-pocketchip-now-403-forbidden/21030

2. You can get Internet access working, open the Terminal on the PocketCHIP, and use the scp command to pull files from another machine via its IP address--or get the PocketCHIP's IP address and scp in the other direction.

I don't have an answer for #3. Unfortunately Next Thing Co took their forum down which makes it much more challenging to find old posts. Wayback Machine is somewhat useful if you know a URL, less useful for search.

P#60361 2018-12-26 01:30

unfortunately pocketchips are fancy looking paperweights these days, at least it pointed me to pico 8

P#60380 2018-12-26 17:27

I've updated my PocketCHIP to the latest version of Pico-8 using this mirror: http://chip.jfpossibilities.com/chip/debian/

I had previously flashed my PocketCHIP with the most recent firmware image, but these instructions should work for older firmware versions as well.

You'll need to edit repository files as root. To do this, open terminal and run these commands:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
## Paste stuff from that post; save
sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences
## Paste stuff from that post; save
## Then, check for updates and install them
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
P#60390 2018-12-27 16:57 ( Edited 2018-12-27 16:58)
  1. For future reference, another way to upgrade pico-8 on PocketCHIP is to download just the .deb file, then install it with sudo dpkg -i PICO-8-FILENAME-GOES-HERE.deb
    (note that sudo will ask you for your password. the default is chip)

2. I recently had many woes trying to copy a cart onto the P-Chip

So I was rather in a rush recently and was trying to copy a cart over onto my pocketchip in order to work on it on the way somewhere (i should have just brought my laptop). anyway, i made an expiring unlisted pastebin of the .p8 file and figured i'd that would be easy enough... well, using wget/curl (idr which) didn't work for some reason (probably pastebin blocking bot-like user agents). had no idea how to force surf to download something. copy-pasting the text into leafpad almost worked except on trying to save it complained something about utf-8 (does chip not support utf-8??) and i couldn't figure out how to paste into vim. running xclipboard sorta worked when using the save (file) button, except xclipboard silently stripped out all the unicode chars (ie the button & other glyphs) AND running it again deleted the file. So I ended up doing that again, making a copy of that file, then opening it up in pico-8 and manually re-adding all the glyphs I'd used.

TL;DR heed dan's advice and be wary of glyphs i guess!

3. If the mouse is fairly modern or there are drivers for it, just plugging it in should work... except, of course, that the cursor is hidden some places by default. The way I did it is installing Marshmallow's Pocket Home and going to Settings --> Advanced --> Input
P#60396 2018-12-27 19:49 ( Edited 2018-12-27 19:53)

tyty for explaining that I can/could just use the .deb file, I will likely use this as prolifically as I can. :)

edit: hm, cannot seem to find a .deb file.

P#62810 2019-03-14 04:46 ( Edited 2019-03-15 04:27)

Thank you ragingmime! That got my chip back up and running after 2 military moves and a reflash of the OS. Now I hope to have more time to play with this bit of antiquated hardware.

P#64694 2019-05-23 14:23

I think there is maybe some misunderstanding about updating pico-8 on the pocketCHIP. Since NTC is gone, the repositories will no longer be updated. To update to the newest version of pico-8 you just have to follow Zep's instructions here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=34009

It uses wget and only takes a few quick commands. If you use the other methods that have been suggested here you will probably only get the last version of pico-8 that was included in the NTC repo before it went down and not the latest version of pico-8 that zep just released.

P#64723 2019-05-24 22:22 ( Edited 2019-05-24 22:23)

@VgBlade , the pocketCHIP community is still around and doing CHIP things. Take a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/ChipCommunity/

I'm an active member over there myself. I actually just upgraded my pocketCHIP from Jessie to Stretch and have been able to update many of the outdated software packages and install new ones that weren't compatible anymore. There is also a growing amount of documentation and many CHIP users are figuring out how to create their own desktop UI's. The pocketCHIP isn't completely dead yet, It surprisingly seems like the community is beginning to grow again :-)

P.S. @JeremyRedhead, you can also just use a USB flash drive to copy carts from your PC to your CHIP and vice versa.

P#64724 2019-05-24 22:30 ( Edited 2019-05-25 22:02)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 09:56:38 | 0.025s | Q:26