Cart #56943 | 2018-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Coffee Bug loves coffee mugs! That's why the critter built a coffee shop in the forest, where creatures of all shapes and sizes can come to kick back, sip a hot cup a' joe, and relax. There's a field of genetically modified crops outside, growing coffee straight into the cup without the need for beans, roasting or brewing!

Harvest as much coffee as possible, for the love of the bean, and for the love of your patrons! But keep in mind, the sweet aroma of your rich blend has reached the nostrils of some hooligans!

Instructions:
Touch coffee mugs to pick them up! Take them to your cafe for points.
Throw coffee mugs with [Z]! Hit baddies to stun them!
Baddies can also be thrown into the shop, to be turned into paying customers. Basically, if you can grab it, toss it or knock it over, try throwing it into the cafe!

Controls:
Arrow Keys: Walk
Z: Throw Mugs

Alternate Controls:
ESDF: Walk
W: Throw Mugs

P#56944 2018-09-20 17:47 ( Edited 2018-09-21 14:58)

Superb ! Strong and stable game engine, lots of levels to work and try out.

P#56951 2018-09-20 20:31 ( Edited 2018-09-21 00:31)

Thanks dw817! :)

P#56952 2018-09-20 22:29 ( Edited 2018-09-21 02:29)

oh man all the little creatures are great; i love the art style :>
I like the music too!
very fun!

hey how do I get a copy of that manual you were tweeting about?? :D do you have a PDF up somewhere?

P#56956 2018-09-20 23:56 ( Edited 2018-09-21 03:57)

@kittenm4ster

Thanks! :) Super glad you enjoyed it! I'm doing a lil giveaway on the manuals over on Twitter right now, so you could get in on that!

Once the giveaway's done, I'll probably set up a Kofi account or something similar, so people who donate a couple dollars can get a manual, and I don't have to worry about the cost of postage. I'll let you know when I've got something set up! :)

P#56966 2018-09-21 10:58 ( Edited 2018-09-21 14:58)

What a wonderful game! I really adore the minimalist 1-bit aesthetic and the bloopy sound design. Reminds me of old cellphones – I'd be thrilled to have this on my Nokia right along Snake, surely I'd play it to hell and back! Extra shoutouts to the nice round title font and the adorable dance on the menu screen. I like how the title stays on the screen too, as if it was fixed crystals on a handheld LCD screen.
One minor graphical thing that bothered me was the sprite of "muncher" type enemies (who destroy beverages) after they are defeated – they look like a menacing dino standing and moving their jaws, so for a while I thought they were harmful enemies and hesitated to pick them up, and kept attacking them instead. But once I paid attention and figured it out, I was okay!
I appreciate the musical contrast, where the menu and game over sounds are cheerful, upbeat and have longer loops, while the in-game loop is super short and minimalistic for concentration, but I could hear some progression on that little drumbeat as the intensity increases.
One thing I'm curious to ask is what was the game design reasoning was behind not allowing to throw items straight up or down. I guess it makes sense since you are mostly running along the sides, and it's convenient to hit the house this way; also because the spawn field is wider horizontally? Is it an extra quirk to make the game more fun to master?
Just found out there's a palette change option too, always great to see!
Thanks for this nice arcade gem!

P#97704 2021-09-23 10:42

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 19:52:07 | 0.014s | Q:24