Cart #fodupobapa-0 | 2019-02-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Because there are next to no games available on the Pocket Chip I decided to make a few games on it. Here's the first of at least two. Submitting from my own Pocket Chip

Edit: I made a few changes, specifically the colour of the text in the title screen and the colour palette of the snake. The code is very sloppy but I just want to move onto something else now. I'm also working on learning to code in Python now. I'm uploading all my Python, Pico-8 and Arduino code to my Github account here https://github.com/WednesdayRabbitt

Thank you for reading, I hope I have more to give you in the future <3

P#56119 2018-09-03 15:07 ( Edited 2019-02-16 10:32)

Quite nice. It's interesting how even though you are only animating 2-colors for the snake, your brain interprets that it is moving in the direction away from the snake.

You can confirm this by making a long line then turning 90-degrees from it. Now is the animation moving towards or against the snake ? It appears to be both if you watch it carefully.

I like the tongue-flicking too. Add a timer, levels of play (exit room to enter another), and obstacles and enemies, and I think you'll something quite better.

P#56122 2018-09-03 15:18 ( Edited 2018-09-03 19:18)

Thank you so much! I stayed up all night to get it to this point. I thought a timer on the apples would be a good idea, I could animate them decaying. I've thought about adding in poisoned apples and walls as a difficultly progression. I mostly just used this as a chance to try develop my own game mechanics for another game but I wanted to have some fun along the way.

Your content is hugely inspirational to me and it means a lot to me that you took some time to leave me a comment, thank you :3

P#56130 2018-09-03 16:08 ( Edited 2018-09-03 20:08)

Me ? My ... thank you. Umm, which program do you like that I've written you think I could make improvements with your suggestions on ?

Definitely willing to listen to good advice.

Hey, I'm programming using DRAW(), and UPDATE() now so clearly anything is possible. :)

P#56136 2018-09-03 17:28 ( Edited 2018-09-03 21:28)

I'm only just starting to learn how to code so seeing some of the more advanced things you do like image compression on pico-8 is baffling to me. I really love the the smart fireball you made, I recon it would be really awesome to see you implement that in a sand physics game where you can set different things on fire such as wood or gunpowder and water to put things out or make things grow.

Here is an advanced example of what I mean https://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust2/

I've spend many hours playing on that one when I was a kid

P#56141 2018-09-03 18:37 ( Edited 2018-09-03 22:37)

That DUST2 is nothing short of awesome !

Really quite interesting. I can definitely see how you might have puzzles where a scale must equal a certain amount or you must ignite a certain percentage - and you have a limited amount of powder and chemicals to make it happen.

Phew ! Whatta game ! :D

Glad you like the compressor ! Not now but later I was going to rewrite it from scratch again and this time determine if it truly is - well - worth all the coding hassle I went through to make it ... instead of using outright hex sourcecode inclusion, which I will be doing for my monster hunt game and am already using it in the Piano+ music composer.

P#56144 2018-09-03 19:20 ( Edited 2018-09-03 23:20)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 18:12:32 | 0.011s | Q:22