With the release of Picotron to the digiverse, I feel as though the general consensus is to upgrade from less to MORE:

More sprites
More data
More map (extra files even!)
More detailed sound/music

But what I want to know is: in your opinion, does Picotron possess a comparable level of features to Pico-8 at this point in time?

Is the jump to Picotron recommended yet?

Thanks.

My conclusion is that pico-8 and picotron are completely different things.
They certainly use Lua in the same way, and may have many things in common, such as the low-resolution screen atmosphere, but pico-8 is for creating works within (intentionally imposed) restrictions, while picotron is for enjoying retro computing to your heart's content. I think that's the difference.
I also think that pico-8 would be more useful if the restrictions were a little more relaxed and free, but I don't think that picotron can fulfill that role.

That makes sense. I think I'll dip between the two and make whatever, with picotron reserved for more sizeable projects. Cheers for the help!

Picotron is still insanely fun to prototype and mess around with. It is less documented, so doing some things might not be as clear as with PICO-8. It has much more powerful features, but it can be used in the exact same way as PICO-8.

You are right, I agree with you.

[Please log in to post a comment]