I've seen many people on the BBS/Discord struggling to grapple with intermediate pixel art concepts, so I wanted to write a post commemorating Pixel Art etiquette so that you, even you, reader, can create your own pixel art.

What is Pixel Art?

Pixel art is any drawing made from a set palette of colors where the colors act as though limited by a grid. Pixel art is art made from squares. It was widely used in early video game and computer graphics, and has grown a large following for its pleasing aesthetic.

Why Should I Learn Pixel Art?

There is no formal reason to learn pixel art. It is not often enough to stake a career on. In many circles, pixel art is considered dated, if not obsolete. The only reason to learn pixel art is for the fun of learning pixel art within itself, though it does have applications within stylized/indie game development and graphic design for retro machines. If you master pixel art, you may also find an improved skill in art and graphic design.

Intro. to Pixel Art

Experience is the best teacher, so how about a little test? Draw a duck using any set of colors. Try drawing the duck at 8x8, 6x6, 4x4, and 2x2. Afterwards, ask a friend if they understand what you were trying to draw. Show them the smallest first, and work your way up to the largest.

It's pretty tricky, isn't it? Though as you go smaller, you may have felt an inverse reaction to your limitations. At 2x2, there is no way to draw a duck, so it's ridiculous to spend much time thinking about how to fit one on the page.

Here's another test. Try drawing a man at 4x4. Take two full minutes to come up with an adequate solution. Now, draw a man at 8x8.

The duck was difficult to draw at 8x8, but the man was much easier. Why is that? Could it be that the micro pixel art man taught you something about larger pixel art?

Conclusion

If I gain more time, I may write a part two. Pixel art is numerously fun on many occasions. If you put your mind to it, there's nothing you can't draw on that microscopic grid.

[Please log in to post a comment]