I found Pico-8 a few months ago (I've been living under a rock), and I've been having a blast learning it's particular brand of Lua. After nights and weekends of watching @Krystman's Beginner Shmup Tutorial, this is the result. The code is clunky and not optimized at all, but I feel it's a "minimum viable product". Let me know what you think. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Changelog:

-Updated Sidewinder enemy behavior
 -Fixed Fly enemy spawning locations so they no longer overlap
 -Added text indicators for random enemy spawns (investigating less intrusive replacement)
 -Minor bug fixes 

Defender of Coryx VII

The Va'nals Empire is sweeping through the galaxy, conquering system after system with their fleet of vat-grown bio-mechanical spacecraft. The peaceful people of Coryx VII have never known conflict or war, and are woefully unprepared to face the Va'nals' threat. In a last ditch effort, the greatest minds of Coryx VII gathered together and created the prototype starship X2-SLP "Slipstream", to be piloted by a brave volunteer. Drawing its power from the dreaded bio-mech ships themselves, the Slipstream may be the people of Coryx VII's only hope. Take the controls of the Slipstream, and defend your people!

Cart #coryxvii-3 | 2024-09-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Very cool. I must admit it's kinda difficult for me. The enemies seem very chaotic and there's very little visual cues of what the enemy is going to do. I don't last very long but did figure out staying more in the centre of the screen allows you to stay alive longer.

Keep it up though! The LazyDevs channel is an awesome place to learn from!

Thank you. The rudimentary enemy behavior is admittedly my weakest area, and something I'm hoping to improve. I think I'll be following his rougelike tutorial next while I watch the Advanced Shmup and dream of the day I may be able to do stuff like that lol.

Any step you take towards creating something is a step in the right direction. So don't knock yourself too hard. I didn't even do anything different when I watched the Cherrybomb tuts. I copied it word for word. I didn't sway at all from it. So to see someone try and put their own mark on it is always refreshing.

[Please log in to post a comment]