Hey all,

I'm noticing a slight audio delay when using the native app for Linux, as well as the raspberry pi version (on a Linux handheld). This delay is not present on the web player. I've tested a few games with the same results. I notice it in the boot up sequence as well, so it seems to be a global issue. Is this expected behavior? It's not game breaking, but it's noticeable. Thanks.

I'm running the Linux version on a Chromebook - no other apps have audio lag.
I'm running the Pi version with Knulli on an Anbernic RG35XX plus.

UPDATE: There doesn't seem to be any audio delay in the Mac version. I am unable to test the Windows version.

I'm on Manjaro with KDE running PICO-8 0.2.6b and I haven't noticed this. How long a delay are you experiencing?

It's not a huge delay, but it's noticeable for me. An easy way to reproduce it is to use the Pico Tetris cart: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=33775
Start a new marathon game. Turn up the speakers. As the pieces fall, there's a beep each time it drops a line. The beep should sound the instant the piece drops. This sounds perfect on the Mac and web versions.

On the Linux and Pi apps, there's a noticeable delay between the piece dropping, and the beep. You can also see this with the rotate action.

I can't speak to the Pi version, but this is definitely not happening for me with the Linux build. The sounds are happening simultaneous to the button presses/actions and in time with the line by line dropping of the pieces.

Huh. I'll have to do some more troubleshooting. Thanks for the testing.

Sure, no problem. Wish I had more insight as to what might be happening!

it might be that the buffer size on the audio system of the linux distro you are using is set to something too high, or the latency is set too high, but it's almost certainly not an issue with PICO-8 itself.

the quickest/easiest thing to try would probably be changing the audio buffer size in PICO-8's config to something smaller. If that doesn't make a big enough difference, my guess is you're going to have to wade into the depths of the pulseaudio/ALSA/whatever audio configuration of your distro, unfortunately :D

[Please log in to post a comment]