Cart #minesweeper_nacorio-4 | 2024-08-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made a Minesweeper clone

This is my second time making a playable game for PICO-8

❎ to mark mines
🅾️ to reveal spaces
[48x16]

edit version 1.1:
I fixed some bugs and added some QOL features and other improvements.
I'm also planning to add mouse support, but won't be able to update the game at least for the next week.

edit version 1.1.1:
Improved performance of auto sweeping, because it could lag for large areas.

edit version 1.1.2:
added better looking visuals.

Nice classic.
Here are a few suggestions :

start timer at 1st reveal.
add chording
wrap around screen for faster navigation
mouse support in 1 player mode.

multiplayer :
moving one of the 8 pads spawns the corresponding cursor.
each player has a differently colored cursor.
Making a mistake, even setting a flag wrong, kills the player that made the mistake, so the flags set by others are trustworthy.
Set flags are of the color of the player that set them.
Winner is the player that set the most flags.

Nice minesweeper game. Works perfect.
But sound when opening the cells would be nice.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
I'll definitely implement some of them.

3 minor bugs found :

• If an auto sweep clears a wrongfully placed flag, the flag count is not properly updated. This thankfully doesn't affect the victory criteria that seems to be "every non bomb cleared"
  • if you click on an isolated bomb, the game sweeps around it. This has the potential to lead to a win and lose at the same time situation.
  • When you get a new high score, there seems to be a 1 frame difference between the "your time" and "best time", making you puzzled instead of letting you savor your victory.

Another couple suggestion :
1)
When you loose, leave a chance for the player to study he board and understand the mistake :
show all the mine.
cross the misplaced flags.
remove the big info box that covers most of the screen.
2)
When auto sweeping, reveal tiles by walking distance from the clicked zero instead of all at once for a nicer effect.

Thanks again!
I was wondering why the flag count was wrong in one game, but now I know why.
Those bugs should be pretty easy to fix though.

Yay, more polish !

Couldn't test if the high score related bug was fixed as my PB comes from a very lucky board and I can't seem to even come close to it.
Maybe add a high score reset option in the pause menu ?

Auto sweep feels unusual somehow. I think you're using depth first search reveal order instead of the classic balanced breadth search first. This lengthens the animation witch is nice, and makes it look frantic, as if the antiquated console was scribbling everywhere and struggling to complete the auto-sweep request : "Oh, sorry player, I forgot that bit, I'll be done in sec".
On the down side, more important "around the cursor" info can sometimes arrive somewhat late and make you lose a fraction of a second. Maybe you can keep it as is for its original and slightly goofy charm, yet still reveal the 8 tiles around cursor 1st to mitigate the drawback ?

Thanks for the game over board info.
When losing, it would make more sense for revealed bombs to be discovered tiles rather than marked tiles.
When winning, unmarked bombs could also be revealed, for an overall finished feel.

And the minor bug of the day : you can set flags on revealed tile, witch messes the bomb count but is otherwise harmless.

Gameplay wise, still no chording. I'm sure I could beat my PB with it.

[Please log in to post a comment]