Cart #cobbsadventure-5 | 2024-09-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cobb's Adventure

Help Cobb on his adventure to eat as much food as possible!

This is HEAVILY inspired by Adventure Island, a wonderful game series from the mid-80s, although I am most familiar with the Gameboy adaptations in the early 90s.

Features:

• 8 different environments
  • Never play the same game twice! Levels are randomly generated every playthrough
  • Easy to learn, hard to master - once you can beat the game, go for 3 stars on your score or times!

I strongly recommend a gamepad for this game. If you are committed to keyboarding, consider pressing "Enter" to open the menu, and set "AutoRun" to "ON" so that you dont need to hold a key to run.

How to play:

• On keyboard, left and right arrows move you. Z or C will let you run and throw hammers.
  • X or V will let you jump
  • You can't throw a hammer until you collect the powerup and get a feather!
  • Don't let your hunger meter hit zero! Grab fruit to stay alive!

So... wow, this game took me a long time to finish! I've lived a lot of life while sitting on this game, so it got anything but my full attention. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Please chime in with bug reports!

Version history:

• v1 I was not clearing "User Data" correctly, resulting in some weird artifacts if you were playing this game via SPLORE. FYI, if you want to completely clear user data in memory (which does NOT happen automatically when starting a cart), you can do:
memset(0x8000,0,0x7fff) --note that if you pass 0x8000 for len, this is 1 byte too long and it will silently fail
  • v2 - I decided to swap the run and jump buttons. This feels less natural to me, but it matches the convention used by most other BBS platformers. (v2.1 botched this! needed to fix)

• v3 - Reduced the size of Cobb's hurtbox, particularly around his head. This will make the birds a lot less menacing.

• v4 - Added Pause menu item to swap jump and run buttons. Do whatever you prefer!!! Also freed up 50 tokens by consolidating some collision code.

Very fun! I like the variety in locations and the consistent old school feel! The timer added a great amount of risk vs reward, where I would sometimes do risky plays to get to the fruit! Great game!

very th for this game and th for my reaction game https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=152913#p
you are so good

Are the hit boxes on the birds big? I have died twice now to being close to a bird.

It's a cool game. Def has the retro vibe to it's bigger brother.

@thesailor I ran into the birds a whole bunch this morning, and you are right. Cobb's hurtbox is fairly big around his head, and it's easy to get just clipped by a bird.

I reduced the size of his hurtbox, so you should be able to scoot by them a little more closely. Mind giving it another go? Thanks for the feedback!!

I will give it another run and I'll let you know.

[Please log in to post a comment]