Cart #tensum-3 | 2024-08-12 | Embed ▽ | No License

TenSum

When Tweetjam happened I got addicted to MakeTen by @pancelor. A simple concept, perfectly executed in 500 chars. But the eyestrain from Pico8's HD resolution was just too much, which is why I started making my own version in Picotron.

How To Play

You control the whole game with your mouse.
The goal of the game is to connect fields that add up to 10. The bigger the area you cover the more points you get.

Afterthoughts

Pancelor is working on an update for MakeTen, packed full of new,crazy gamemodes and hours of fun. You can play this while you wait for that version.
This is my second game for Picotron, and I really hope our little community will continue to grow. Do let know your highscores, do let me know what you think.

Beware of the Web Version!

I advise you to play this in Picotron itself for two reasons.
The web player is still very messy, audio doesn't work and neither do userfiles-and you probably want to hang on to your highscores!

Updates

16.6.24 -added "How to play" section in Main menu
12.8.24 -redesigned Main Menu and background, added "ZEN" mode
12.8.24 -fixed a game crashing bug(thanks @pancelor) with the help of @snowkittykira 's dithering function (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=141280)

Well done lil picotron game! The music is pretty cool, matches the underwater aesthetic (tho I have no idea why it is underwater lol).

I wanted to add something mesmerizing to look at and played around with different ideas-but I ultimately landed on the aquarium idea,which was fun to quickly put together. I still have to develop a proper title screen, I'm not good with those

My first picotron carts after I bought it. It was so fun playing this.
The music is really good, can you give advice to make sound like that?

I'm totally newbie on music

Thank you, I'm happy you enjoyed playing it! There are infinite ways to approach making music for your games, lots of them very helpful and interactive. My 'process' of making anything, but especially music is rather fast-I try to come up with the background elements and then improvise a melody and some harmonies on top. The music for TenSum is still too short, the track should be longer. But it captures the calmness I felt when playing it. My quick tip if you really have no grasp of music yet-only use black keys, so C#, D#,F#, G# and A#. This is called a pentatonic scale and these notes will always work together.

This is awesome! It's very simple but there's a surprising amount of depth involved with planning ahead and setting up combos.
I don't think overly large selections (selections where there exists a smaller selection that selects the same numbers, like trimming extra transparency in image software) should reward extra points, it makes it easy to reuse the same open space multiple times going layer by layer on one of the sides and including the entire empty area, I got 177 on one of my first attempts abusing that.

[Please log in to post a comment]