Cart #vexor-1 | 2024-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Vexor is a cute lil shmup I made!

Enojoy! :)

Changelog:
-Fixed slow down
-Fixed phantom plane glitch

That was fun. I was struggling to get past 8,000 points and gold rating, and then one time I got really into the zone. But around 15,000 points the frame rate started to slow down, even when there weren't half a dozen saucers on the screen.

Eventually they did get me, though.

But something amusing happened when I left it on this screen. Something kept shooting. It was also moving, so not just shots leaving my last known position. This also scored points, eventually wrapping the score past 32767 and my red medal back to nothing...

Thank you! And thanks for playing! I’ll def look into those bugs! Huh, that’s really interesting that it kept shooting and moving even when the game had ended… I’ll def look into it and get it fixed up! :)

My guess is some bullets never de-spawn, and once their Y coordinate underflows back into the positives, they end up onscreen after some time. The movement is just that of the ship at the time of firing. Cool bug, and potentially lag related also, if lots of them have to be updated each frame and they keep piling in memory.

Fun! Good job!

What an incredible shooting game!

@RealShadowCaster Yup that's what it was lol. Turns out I had two typos in the code which made it so that the players bullets and the background objects weren't despawning. This resulted in massive slowdowns after playing for too long, and the phantom plane glitch. I patched them both up tho. Thanks for your help! :)

You can resolve the score issue using the tips from this post https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=139330#p

@Kububbis You're welcome!

[Please log in to post a comment]