Cart #marumba-8 | 2024-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Shunting Master!

Congratulation, you got a new job and it is your first day at the shunting yard. Your first task is to collect 100 rail skids.
After collecting 5 skids you have to hang them at the skidrack(press x).
But don't be lazy, time is tickin' and you will get tired soon...

The game is almost done now, I guess at the end it is quiet difficult and you need some luck to avoid long distances.
Diagonal movement is adjusted and jittery movement is eliminated for almost 98%.

last update
-diagonal movement adjusted

previous update:
-bunnies added
-locomotive added

next:
-fix screenshake

P#143864 2024-03-19 17:38 ( Edited 2024-04-27 10:36)

This is really good for an early attempt making something in pico-8!

The two biggest issues that it has right now are the collision detection doesn't always work, and the game is too easy. The first issue is a bug and can be easily resolved, the other is a design issue so I'll offer a suggestion as to how the gameplay could be improved.

You should start out with more obstacles to move around/avoid. Have the train cars appear more frequently in the early minutes of the game. Place down some boxes that block the paths between the train-lines so that you have to plan your route a little more when choosing where and when to cross the tracks. Have items that are worth more points appear, but they will disappear if not collected within a certain time-frame - give the player some risk/reward choices. (if it were me making this I would have them spawn on the tracks and be destroyed when run over by the train, to force the player into danger to grab them in time).

There is a really interesting arcade game in here and I'd love to see you develop it further.

P#143981 2024-03-20 20:07

Thank you for your feedback.
I'm aware that the game is now definitely much too easy, "boxes" and other obstancles are already on the timetable.
There is also an idea for a reward/recover option. A lot of work to do...

P#144201 2024-03-23 09:26

[Please log in to post a comment]