Cart #30800 | 2016-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #30457 | 2016-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The Burning Rose Demake
GBJam Edition

Credits:
Artwork, sfx, code courtesy of Grandtraindelta, @grandtraindelta
Most excellent music courtesy of Gnarcade, @Gnarcade_VGM
@krajzeg for the pico8 controller script

Hi all, yes this is demake of an existing game I've made for gbjam, but i've used all the tokens i could find to add more content and a boss! Now with secondary phase bullet patterns

V 1.2 Changes
-Fixed gameover music bug
-Modified awakening link and dreamland palettes
-Added phase 2 pattern to boss

V 1.1 Changes
-Fixed crash with autobomb on hit with missiles
-Fixed bug, running out of missiles while entering boss phase would lock shooting
-Modified diagonal movement to respect proper distance vector over one frame. (movement was too fast)

WHY A BIPLANE SHMUP?

Born from a love of Ghibli, animation, 8bits, blue sky gaming, Sega score chasing and the Nintendo Gameboy. The burning rose has been remade for gbjam with added features.

The burning rose is a action shmup game of tense combo chaining and score driven gameplay. Coupled with end game resource management and survival. The session time is low, requiring little time investment for the player. I have implmented a quick open ended scoring system for longevity, with the emphasis on maximization. One hit kills and quick restart make it ideal for one more go arcade style play.

TELL ME MORE...

-Consistant UI
-Local Highscore table
-Autobomb mode, allows beginners to get to grips with the combo system and difficulty at a 10% cost reduction in score
-Now type blanks in highscore entry

WHATS CHANGED SINCE LAST TIME?

-Reworked sprites to work with 4 colours
-Spritesheet recoloured to allow for Palette swaps in code.
-Gameboy and Nintendo influenced colour palettes.
-Reduced token count to add extra features and optimised code
-Added music tweaks and sfx
-Xbox and xinput Gamepad functionality in browser (chrome and firefox)
-Secret boss battle, for the highscore chasers...

HOW DO I PLAY THIS?

Pilot the Burning Rose through a finite barrage of 500 missiles using only 500 of your own shots to cut a path. Each missile is worth one point. Destroying two missiles without a single missile leaving the screen starts a combo. Keep the chain going and your final score will be multiplied by your highest chain of your run. Push your chaining ability to the limit to make your way onto the local top pilot ranking!

In one run you're given 3 bombs. Use them defensively to get out of a tight situation and avoid death. Or use them aggressively to maintain a chain and link stray missiles.

WHAT ARE THE KEYBOARD CONTROLS?

Menus:
Z - Accept/select
X - Back
Up and down - Navigation
Left - Select colour palette
Right - Auto bomb toggle

In Gameplay:
Z - Hold to fire
X - Smart bomb
Arrows - Movement

P#30458 2016-10-09 16:19 ( Edited 2016-10-09 20:19)

Pretty neat ! I saw this when it was in vibrant 16-colors !

Down to 4-colors for the competition, it still retains the charm of the first. Nice going !

P#30460 2016-10-09 16:43 ( Edited 2016-10-09 20:43)

Thanks alot! I listened to you feedback and implemented an autobomb to survive longer/make things easier at a cost of score. Think of it as a difficulty switch while players practice. Also added a hidden boss :D Will add further boss patterns depending on if i can free up some tokens

P#30517 2016-10-10 03:51 ( Edited 2016-10-10 07:51)

Haha, i thought most people thought it was already too hard! Did you get to the boss by going over a x150 combo? I'm going to rewrite this back into my full colour version, and by removing the colour code i'll be able to free up tokens for some more boss patterns so watch this space.

P#30799 2016-10-12 20:56 ( Edited 2016-10-13 00:56)

i want to do one

P#30808 2016-10-12 21:53 ( Edited 2016-10-13 01:53)

I love the attention to detail and the tiny flourishes in the animation, like the word BURNING glinting occasionally on the title screen, and the resize-bounce on the STAGE CLEAR/GAME OVER ribbons. Fun game too, though IMO unlocking the boss is harder than defeating it :)

P#30818 2016-10-13 00:50 ( Edited 2016-10-13 04:51)

@DrPete thanks i appreciate folk spotting those touches it makes the time spent doing them worth it.

@geistvonpa Yes i definately want to tweak the missiles behaviour im not quite happy with them. I wanted to keep the colors themed towards gameboy for the jam, but thats a great idea, ill add that in, just need a palette name, any suggestions?

P#30888 2016-10-13 17:54 ( Edited 2016-10-13 21:54)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 20:54:20 | 0.055s | Q:31