Cart #21689 | 2016-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

In this experiment, you have to reveal each cell of a grid, by selecting one with the cursor and the Z button, and play with the chain reactions.

Each cell has a particular type : there's arrows, which trigger the pointed cell when revealed, colored arrows, which will reveal the whole line from their cell to the grid border once shown up, red dots that show the next immediate cells, and grey cells that don't do anything !

Each time a cell is revealed during a chain reaction, a combo counter will be incremented and the cell will produce more points.

But attention : selecting a cell with the cursor costs points, and the more cells you manually reveal, the more points you'll lose while showing the first object.

The X key show you the whole grid for a few seconds, allowing you to plan you next moves more efficiently. But be warned that it like the reveal button, it costs more and more points as you use it.
Plus, you can hold it as much as you want to keep the grid revealed, but your score will decrement fast once the reveal timer is up.

I'll be honest, it could be way more polished. But I'm too tired at this moment to keep working on it :) (or write a descent english description .___.)
Thus said, I hope you'll like it. It's been a pleasure to work on this and participate to this jam, and finally be able to send my first cart to the BBS !

Lots of love. <3

P#21690 2016-05-29 22:04 ( Edited 2016-06-21 15:02)

Pretty neat. I like how the different arrows go different distances. I did notice that you can click on an already revealed arrow and it will take away score...seems like a bug. I might also suggest not making it say "Game Over" when you complete a board...first time I thought I had already lost!

P#21707 2016-05-29 23:30 ( Edited 2016-05-30 03:30)

I like the idea, and usualy a first move in the center of a large grid make a nice combo and animation. Maybe it could be interesting to see a preview of case around when you played, a bit like Minesweeper. You could plan your move more carefully.

P#21762 2016-05-30 05:36 ( Edited 2016-05-30 09:36)

Really cool concept!! Maybe the design could have been thought out a bit better to be more fun. : )
Graphics are neat too!

P#21782 2016-05-30 11:29 ( Edited 2016-05-30 15:29)

Interesting concept, but it feels a bit random. I pick a corner with an arrow and I score loads of points and clear most of the board.

P#21827 2016-05-30 15:46 ( Edited 2016-05-30 19:46)

Very cool game - it would probably help if instead of saying "game over" and going to the next level, there was some condition - e.g. you need a positive amount of points to continue.

P#21861 2016-05-31 00:39 ( Edited 2016-05-31 04:39)

Thanks @morningtoast! But yes, as you and @josefnpat noticed, this gameover text should never have existed in the final version. It hints the player he lost the game (I got a lot of this feedback from non-player people) and confuses everybody. To be honest, it was 4AM, exhausted, and I was like "this text sucks" but was to lazy to comment it. (because I needed at least one game end notification......)

@NuSan, thanks for the suggestion! That's one of the possibilities I think about for the post-jam version. The "temporary whole grid reveal" thing only give me some half-satisfaction, I think I have to rethink this a bit.

Thanks @TRASEVOL_DOG! I'll try to calibrate this a lot more to make a real fun minesweeper-kind of game after the jam.

@matt yep, it's one of the ideas of the game, total randomness. You can almost clear a grid in one press or struggle a bit more to fill it! But yeah, it's maybe too much sometimes. I'll think about tweaking the grid generator to give it a better consistency. :)

@josefnpat, I had this idea of a fatal negative score when I implement the multiple levels feature, I think it's one of the rules I'll implement on the final version (:

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I'm not sure to be really proud of this one, but I'll try to make something polished anyway. It really needs some win/lose condition, a title screen, and a tutorial.

It's so frustrating to see all these issues floating around in this version, and not being able to fix them. :p

P#21902 2016-05-31 07:53 ( Edited 2016-05-31 11:53)

Nicely made, fun game! I included it in my Pico-8 Jam #2 compilation video series, if you’d like to take a look :)

P#23364 2016-06-21 11:02 ( Edited 2016-06-21 15:02)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 05:28:15 | 0.020s | Q:36