Follow
SVEDEN11
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #spaceranger-3 | 2024-05-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Seizure Warning

This game may potentially trigger seizures for people with photosensitive epilepsy. Viewer discretion is advised.

Controls

• Move: Arrow Keys
  • Shoot: X
  • Bomb: Z
  • Pause: Enter

NOTE: Shoot / Bomb buttons can be swapped in the Pause menu

Instructions

• Destroy 30 waves of space pirates and recover the space doubloons they leave behind.
    The more doubloons you collect, the higher your score. The ring around your ship indicates the range of your tractor beam which attracts doubloons.
  • Destroying space pirates will increase your score multiplier. Letting a space pirate escape the area or taking damage will reset this multiplier to zero.
  • Defeating an entire wave of space pirates will increase your level multiplier which will also increase your score.
  • Once you take 3 hits your ship will be destroyed.

Powerups

Every 5th wave, a random powerup will appear. Collecting powerups will upgrade your ship. Powerups can only be upgraded 3 times. The type of powerup will be indicated by the letter displayed:

• Power (P): Increases the damage of your ship's weapons. Ideal for taking down enemies quickly.
  • Option (O): Options will orbit around your ship, firing additional shots, increasing your shot width. They will also damage enemies on impact allowing for both offensive and defensive play.
  • Magnet (M): Increases your pickup range, allowing you to collect doubloons easier. It will also increase the range of any Options that orbit your ship.
  • Bomb (B): Bombs will clear all enemies and their projectiles on the screen. You start with 3 bombs, though additional bombs can be picked up after fully upgrading the Power, Option, or Magnet powerups.

Tips

• The closer you are to the top of the screen, the faster you shoot. Use this to your advantage to defeat enemies quickly.
  • Bombs can be particularly useful during the final level of the game when things are most intense.
  • Defeating enemies quickly will shorten the total play time. See how fast you can beat the game and post your fastest play time in the comments!

Alternate Color Palettes

Choose from 10 different color palettes in the Pause menu, including palettes submitted by content creators who have supported the game during its development. Check them out!

Credits

Design, programming, art, sfx, and music done by me (Dumenglume).

Changelog

v1.2

• Added option to disable screen shake
  • Added option to swap Shoot / Bomb buttons (NOTE: Shoot / Bomb default buttons were swapped to be more consistent with other games in the genre)
  • Added option to reset high score (ignores left/right buttons but use carefully nonetheless)
  • Added version number to title screen
  • Added functionality to theme menu -- it now changes color palette in real time to make previewing them easier
  • Added bomb functionality -- bombs now destroy all enemy projectiles on screen and not just enemies themselves (should make bombs more useful overall, especially during boss fight when overwhelmed with shots)
  • Changed starting enemies so they will now shoot more than once
  • Changed explosions size slightly to improve readability
  • Changed doubloon spawn count when enemies are destroyed to improve readability -- They will always spawn one doubloon, but doubloons are worth more now so high scores can still be achieved
  • Changed size of powerups so they are larger/easier to collect
  • Changed boss health, shot cooldowns, speed, to balance difficulty
  • Changed boss phases so they are clearer to the player -- will now explode doubloons between phases, not just on death
  • Changed menu functionality so all options have similar controls -- X / O no longer close the menu, use Esc or Continue instead
  • Fixed bug where player couldn't collect powerups near bottom of screen
  • Fixed bug where boss could receive damage during its entrance
  • Fixed bug where boss wouldn't move, now it should move from side to side
  • Fixed bug where player could die during boss' death animation
  • Fixed bug where both victory and loss themes would play when dying at boss
  • Fixed bug where doubloons wouldn't award points properly

v1.1

• Added music to the game
  • Added alternate color palettes
  • Added "play time" stat that appears at the end of a run for lite speed running
  • Changed boss functionality to be more challenging
  • Changed enemy behavior to allow more variety
  • Changed visuals to improve readability (all player shots are blue, all enemy shots are orange instead of mixing the two)
  • Changed powerup names to be more consistent with "shmup" standards
  • Fixed a bug where enemies that spawned later in the game only had 1HP, making the game easier than intended

Thanks to everyone who checked out the game! Let me know your thoughts on the latest update, or what you'd like to see in the future for Space Ranger!

P#147898 2024-05-04 10:07 ( Edited 2024-05-17 09:10)

Cart #dungeonsongtest-0 | 2020-03-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is just a small loop I've been working on which I plan to put in one of my games, but thought I'd upload it to see what others think. It doesn't use any custom instruments and so far any additional layers I've attempted to add (drums, other melodies, etc.) haven't really sounded right. I'm curious if folks think this loop stands on its own enough or if it would become annoying to listen to after a while. Any general feedback is welcome.

P#73896 2020-03-14 00:23

When I try to run the code listed below, my game freezes because of the while loop. Can anyone shed some light on how I can prevent the while loop in this code snippet from choking? Or if there's a better way all together?

I'm hoping to add additional objects to these functions (though they would be single objects instead of sets of 30 and 15, but I'm not at all an experienced coder.

I was trying to borrow code from the following page: https://level0gamedev.blogspot.com/2016/05/back-to-game-code.html

I'm also having a second issue of all 45 sprites being set to foo's sprite instead of 30 for foo and 15 for bar, but i'll have to tackle that later unless someone can weigh in on that as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

function _init()
test = 0

for i = 1, 30 do
    spawn_actor(foo)
end

for i = 1, 15 do
    spawn_actor(bar)
end 

function spawn_actor(name)
    local obj = {}

obj.type = name
    obj.frame = nil
    obj.x = flr(rnd(right_border) + left_border)
    obj.y = flr(rnd(bottom_border - top_border) + top_border)
    obj.w = 8
    obj.h = 8
    obj.x2 = obj.x + obj.w * 8
    obj.y2 = obj.y + obj.h * 8

if obj.name == foo then
        obj.frame = 16 + flr(rnd(3))
    elseif obj.name == bar then
        obj.frame = 32
    end

overlapped = true
        while overlapped do
        overlapped = false
        foreach(actors, function(actors)
            if actors.x <= obj.x + obj.w * 8 + 1 and 
            actors.x + actors.w * 8 >= obj.x - 1 and 
            actors.y <= obj.y + obj.h * 8 + 1 and 
            actors.y + actors.h * 8 >= obj.y - 1 then
                test += 1
                overlapped = true
                obj.x = flr(rnd(right_border) + left_border)
                obj.y = flr(rnd(bottom_border - top_border) + top_border)
            end
        end)
    end
    add(actors, obj)
end

function _draw()
    cls()
    foreach (actors, draw_actor)
end

function draw_actor(obj)
    spr(obj.frame, obj.x, obj.y, 1, 1)
end
P#35309 2017-01-09 02:19 ( Edited 2017-01-10 02:40)

Hi,

I'm trying to have a sprite move in front of and behind other objects to simulate z-index ordering, but I'm not sure how to do this in PICO-8. I figured it would work something like if object_a.y > object_b.y, move behind that object.

I saw somewhere someone giving each object/sprite a "z" variable that would control what order things were drawn, but that wasn't for PICO-8 so I don't know if that could be recreated here.

After some searching, I see that this has been done in The Lair and Kick Wizards, but I'm very new to Lua/PICO-8 so I'm having a hard time finding how they're doing it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Lair: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=4051
Kick Wizards: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=27697

Thanks!

P#35146 2017-01-07 07:38 ( Edited 2017-01-09 17:25)