BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #raccoon_ball-1 | 2023-06-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Does what it says on the box.

(updated to fix a major oversight: now it bounces)

Photo by Toan Chu

18 comments

Cart #fopajeraba-0 | 2023-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Improvement from the original. The final draft

1 comment

Hello! I recently downloaded Pico 8 on my windows 10. The interface works fine, but when I try to actually run my game, all I get is a black screen. I have made sprites and have even made a simple scene in the scene editor, but nothing shows up. The command prompt returns if I hit esc, but no game. I'm not sure what to do.

I did read a couple troubleshooting questions of people with the same issue, and the responses said to download the raspberry pi version and move some files over to the current OS's install, but I tried that and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Here is my script for my test game, in case something in there is responsible:

Edit: Definitely not just my code. Running the included demos also results in black screen.

3 comments

Controls

arrow keys and the "X" and "C" buttons

0 comments

Cart #porterpatch1-1 | 2023-06-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

Z to Jump
X to Teleport
Arrow Keys to Move and Aim
-There is a 'WIPE SAVE' option in the pause menu ('p')

Rules

In Porter, you play as Yug who may teleport and jump. If Yug teleports into a wall, Yug dies. If Yug jumps into spikes, Yug dies. The goal is to use Yugs teleportation and jump to get to the yellow coin in each level.

Story

Yug is a Porter, a gatekeeper to the underground city. They don’t pay him enough to live IN the city, so he lives outside where it is dark and dangerous… but he LOVES it outside!! Help Yug get to work by jumping, dodging and teleporting your way to safety! I hear if Yug clocks in early enough he might get a raise…

Bounties

When beating the game you will receive text, then your score. If the text is replaced you have achieved a specific, and impressive, score.
(CLAIMED by Hazazel)The first person to send me a video of them achieving “RANK B” gets a $20 gift card.
(CLAIMED by Revelation)The first person to send me a video of them achieving “RANK A” also gets a $20 gift card. (this one is messed up hard)
The video must contain the full run, to reach me go to my Twitter @BluMakesGames

Download from Itch - https://blumakesgames.itch.io/porter

22 comments

Cart #fomgeyufu-0 | 2023-06-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

This is a small roguelike inspired by the Shin Megami Tensei games

How To Play

Controls

• Left Arrow and Right Arrow to turn
  • Down Arrow to turn 180 degrees
  • Up Arrow to move forward
  • X to open/close the map and to select moves when in combat
  • Z to run when in combat (random chance to successfully run)

Gameplay

You will encounter enemies while you explore the dungeon. Each enemy will have a weakness. Enemies also have a random change to hit or miss you at each turn. The likelihood of encountering an enemy is indicated by the compass. When the compass has a red ring, you will encounter an enemy soon.

You will find a ladder on each level. This level will take you to the next floor. Each floor will increase the enemies difficulty.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Logarithm Benchmark

Cart #log_bench-0 | 2023-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Logarithm algorithms

wiki method

stats

tokens:46

description

the wiki method uses an interesting property of logarithms to compute a value. specifically:
log(A * B) = log(A) + log(B)
by using a look up table for all the logarithms (base 10 of course) of the first 9 digits (1-9) we can use the following code to compute logarithms:

log10_table = {
 0, 0.3, 0.475,
 0.6, 0.7, 0.775,
 0.8375, 0.9, 0.95, 1
}

function log10(n)
 if (n < 1) return nil
 local t = 0
 while n > 10 do
  n /= 10
  t += 1
 end
 return log10_table[flr(n)] + t
end

what this algorithm actually does is repeatedly divide by 10 and add the number of times it does this to a counter. Essentially we are assuming the number n can be expressed as m * 10 *10 *10... and we are simply removing these tens. then re-adding them in at the end.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #bebopjukebox-0 | 2023-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a sample jukebox of songs made with bebop, a music generator desktop app I created for making songs for videogames. With bebop you can generate songs in .wav format or export a function that saves the song in your Pico-8 cartridge in the sfx and pattern slots (either momentarily or permanently).

You can find the tool here: https://srsergior.itch.io/bebop

This jukebox has a couple of generated songs that show the type of music that bebop can make. I think that this tool can be useful for giving Pico-8 games that extra musical polish in fast game jams and other projects :)

(it is not an AI tool)

You can freely use any of the songs in this jukebox by downloading the cartridge and adapting the code to your project. Just, please, mention my itch account in your credits: https://srsergior.itch.io/

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Hey @zep I was working on my game and found that my pokes were failing to update the .p8d.txt?
here I tried doing:

?"⁶!5e00²"
  ?dget(0)
  stop()

I found it replicable by doing

cartdata"test"
color(7)

local v = @0x5e00
if v<8 then
 ?@0x5e00
 ?"⁶!5e00"..chr(v+1)
 run()
end

?"done"

I understand if it's meant to take time to update the file but my game depends on this writing to memory for handling state and I wish I could rely on it.. is there some way to make sure the file has time to be written to that'd be token cheap? like giving it extra flip time or something?
I'm on v0.2.5e not sure if this exists on newer versions.

2 comments

Cart #rndcart-0 | 2024-01-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Random Cart loader

This cartridge loads a random numerical id cartridge of bbs. basically any cart on bbs thats cart id is a number.

Update 2.0 : Compress code + fix display bug

5 comments

PICO-VIEW: May 2023

Hello Pico-View Reader, this May issue is the fifth in the series. This month has been jammed full of fun in the community. In this issue we are placing a focus on the multiple game jams that occured in May and the many PICO-8 games made for them!

We'll begin with our usual tasty Game Dev Articles, and then we'll take a look at each major jam that happened this month, with some jam-specific articles sprinkled in there as well. This issue is stuffed with games, so if you missed out on all the releases this month, don't worry, we've got you covered with the must-plays.

Thank you to the writers, contributors, and all supporters, that includes you reader! We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. And with that, have fun adventuring through the pixels and paragraphs of this issue of the Pico-View web-zine!

Authors:

Glimm, RidgeK, Luchak, Citizen608, Marina, Achie, Andrew Reist, Fletch, Kevin Portelli, and Nerdy Teachers

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Did anyone else get swarm racer 3000 with their copy of pico-8 (and is it any good) or is it just me

From your local autism gremlin

6 comments

Cart #snake8-1 | 2023-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #flying_mario-0 | 2023-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #shaiza-2 | 2023-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

lil demake of shazia from counterpact :3

controls:
AD: move
S: slide
left click: melee (reveals you for now)
right click: throw chain
F: sit

old versions:

Cart #shaiza-1 | 2023-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[hidden]
Cart #shaiza-0 | 2023-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #gawodokoju-0 | 2023-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

use c to move

(i stole some of the code so thanks to @nonsako)

5 comments

Cart #gunturtle_cafe-0 | 2023-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

arrow keys to move, z to jump, x to dash.
you can change direction mid-dash!

a mod of Celeste by Maddy Thorson and Noel Berry:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2145

8 comments

Cart #radio_samsa-18 | 2023-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #typingwhiledriving2-0 | 2023-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Texting and Driving Simulator!

Arrow Keys- rotate and move the car in forward or reverse
Z and X- use to type messages: unpack your complicated relationship with Buddy and Sarah!

Try and type as many characters as possible while dodging oncoming traffic and hopefully making it back home in one piece!

2 comments

Cart #starlightv09-4 | 2023-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello!

This is a small, narrative game poem about a young girl who is searching for letters from her mother.

I hope that you connect with the story and have fun exploring it's world.

Credit and gratitude to Nerdy Teachers and Lazy Game Devs. I spent a lot of time with their tutorials and they have helped so much! (I used the code for the Nerdy Teachers platformer tutorial as the starting point for this game.)

I've also been incredibly inspired by playing others games in Splore. It's so awesome that a community like this exists.

Thank you for playing!

anthroacoustic

0.9 UPDATE (8/19/23)

Changes include:

• Level design changes and animation effects to support environmental storytelling.
  • A 'log' function that allows players to read all the notes they've collected so far.
7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->