BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #mcg_epock-0 | 2023-02-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello again, everyone!

So I was stuck on a plane from DC to San Francisco today, so I did what any rational person in that position would do: I threw a 1-person "build something nifty on a long plane ride" game jam!

My last jammy thing was qdlst(), the Quick 'n' Dirty Locally Similar Tiler algorithm that I subsequently used to build Greave, the dungeon crawler I released this past weekend. Today, for a change, I decided to try my hand at a worldmap builder in the vein of Civilization.

Being as I was on an airplane and was not about to shell out good money for lousy wifi, all I had to work with was PICO-8 and the text-based manual. Since I couldn't remember any perlin noise procedures off the top of my head, I had to improvise, which is more fun, anyhow. I decided to go the geological route: I'd build a world by pummeling a blank slate with a bunch of meteors. add a little random noise every ten rounds or so, and you've got yourself a planet!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

In order to expand Pico-8's scope of influence and interest, I was wondering if it was possible to compile a Pico-8 cartridge to a new kind of EXE. Not one that requires Windows as it can now but runs perfectly well in DOSBOX ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox

Is this possible ?

4 comments

Cart #memview-1 | 2023-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is an application that looks at the memory of the PICO-8.

Left-Display previous byte
Right-Display next byte
Up-Increment memory address
Down-Decrement memory address
o-Decrement memory address by 8
x-Increment memory address by 8

The code has a string and number stored to find in memory.
There is also a graphic and sfx to locate in memory.
I initially made this to look at the lua code and answer a few questions I had like what the endianness of the CPU is (it is little-endian if I worked things out correctly). Perhaps there are other things that can be found about the CPU. Maybe I could add a way to poke values in to test things.
I whipped this up and added a few features to make things a bit easier. Do whatever you want with it. If the BBS gave me the option I would have put it as CC0, but I selected CC4 because it was closest.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #neretepisu-1 | 2023-02-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

7 comments

Cart #mcg_greave-0 | 2023-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello, everyone!

I've put together a little homage to one of the classics of the 1980's arcade scene, Gauntlet. It's only one player (boo!) but it introduces procedurally-generated levels using the Quick 'n' Dirty Locally Similar Tiler algorithm I put together a few months ago. Run around, kill baddies, get powerups and treasure, and slowly uncover the deep and complex story of why, exactly, you're doing all of this.

This is a 1.0 release, so it's feature complete, probably buggy here and there, needs optimization, and is really bumping up against the token count. 😬

Have fun, and let me know what you think!

3 comments

Cart #befodiketa-0 | 2023-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #picowide_loki-0 | 2023-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Picowide, a function-based font.

"Picowide", as the name suggest, is nothing more but the classic pico8 font, but wider on the left side.
This gives it eye-catching characteristic, as its based on the original but with an extra twist; familiar but new.

"Picowide" is printed exclusively through code, explained step by step in the code. Its not "a custom font".

The following gif is an example of how the font is used (At the start, with "play" and "credits", on the score-top right and on the time-bottom left)

The "Picowide" code has been published under the creative commons license "CC4-BY-NC-SA".

14 comments

Cart #beet_em_up-1 | 2024-03-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Beet 'em Up is an arcade style high-score chaser about throwing beets at your enemies!

Press left and right to move, O to jump, and X to pluck/throw beets. You can aim your beets up or down by pressing a direction before throwing.

This game was made in just a few hours for the Global Game Jam 2023. I decided to do a small update to give the player animations.

6 comments

Cart #shipnickers-2 | 2023-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You are a ship collector with questionable methods of obtainment. Collect the 100 unique ships!

Player 1:
Move: arrows
Primary weapon: Hold C/Z, mash to repair
Secondary weapon: X

Player 2:
Move: ESDF
Primary weapon: Hold Tab, mash to repair
Secondary weapon: Q

Press X in hangar to see upcoming enemies.

• 100 unique ships
  • 10 different weapon systems
  • Sliding difficulty

Changelog:

v0.3

• Rework enemies, there are now 10 types (one with each weapon)
  • Add pressing X on hangar screen to show upcoming enemies
  • Add enemy beam hint
  • Add music to splash screen
  • A thousand nano tweaks
  • Token hunts galore

v0.2

• Added police raids every few nicks
  • Added a more exciting escape phase
  • Add splash screen
  • Change all enemy graphics
  • Change repair to be easier
  • Tweaks to enemy spawning
  • Minor tweaks to weapons
  • A good amount of successful token hunts
  • Many minor unnamed tweaks

[ Continue Reading.. ]

24 comments

Cart #treb-0 | 2023-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TREBUCHET

Made for the Mini Jame Gam 2023

This is the first game I've ever actually finished and was used to help me learn to code. That being said, there's a little bit of jank.

CONTROLS

left and right arrow keys move you around.

RULES

Catch the enemies' boulders but don't get hit! Periodically, flags will spawn limiting how far back you can move.

GAME JAM

This was made for the Mini Jame Gam 2023 and is the first finished development project by myself, Dana St. Amand. (*finished is a relative term)

The theme of the Jam was "Reverse" and the special object was "flag." I took a little bit of a broader approach to the idea of "Reverse" by expanding the definition to include the opposite of what you would expect to happen. The jury is still out on if that was a good decision. I really used this Jam and the limitations of Pico-8 to force myself to learn how to code after years of dipping my toes in and being scared of getting wet. Despite the jank, I think it worked out okay!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #babepizoha-0 | 2023-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

english -- a game where need to drop rotten-gnocchis into a well to survive...
français -- un jeu ou tu dois faire tomber des gnocchis putréfiés dans un puit pour survivre...

1 comment

Expected:

-- save to p8.rom format
cstore(0,0,0x4300,"test.p8.rom")

Outcome (bug): test.p8.rom is actually a png file!!

0 comments

Cart #rush_tree-6 | 2023-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Nearly finished! Took a few months to make, probably quite buggy.

3 comments

Cart #yugemijanu-0 | 2023-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

my first pico 8 game. I used a bunch of tutorials for this, the one that I mainly used would be pico 8 top down adventure game tutorial by Dylan Bennett.

controls: m is inventory and n is close text. The rest is your typical arrow key setup

0 comments

[128x128]

Hello.

One of the limitations of Pico-8's educational edition is that you cannot import or export sprites. So - making use and only making use of the system itself, I show how you can actually do so.

First off, if you do not have Pico-8 yet, you can either purchase it HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php

Or get more information and make full use of the educational edition, HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=47278

Now the primary restriction to the educational edition is the lack of SPLORE, which is well-worth the cost of the system ($15) in all cases. You just boot up Pico-8. Type out SPLORE followed by the ENTER key and you have a wonderful frontend for all the gaming carts written in Pico-8 - sorted by popularity, how new they are, and you can search for carts by key words and names such as "star trek."

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #depefapugi-0 | 2023-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I play P.Craft a lot so I thought I'd do a remake of it

what I did:
-- changed item names
-- changed item sprites
-- changed grass sprites
-- tweaked some stuff

0 comments

Cart #amethyst-0 | 2023-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

amethyst is a top-down game I threw together just to experiment with RPG-style code.

feel free to play around with it.

• iffymd2003 :-]
2 comments

@zep

Okay, so the functionality is there, but you forgot to add it to the list you get if you type config by itself. Currently this is all you get:

> config
config [setting]

available settings:
volume
theme
gif_len
gif_reset_mode
gif_scale
screenshot_scale
splore_filter
tab_width

Might wanna check and make sure there aren't any other additions you've missed adding here.

0 comments

Hello.

I am understanding I am not to write a program that allows you to import/export PNG files to and from P8 cartridges, so I wrote this in an attempt to assist other Pico-8 users of the educational edition since they cannot import or export graphics or music.

It uses a variance of the graphics for the little library I wrote, the first Picotron program written found HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=50942

I exchanged the spider and bomb for Forest (tree) and rubble which can double as mountains. There are some miscellaneous sound effects and I also added a musical note player that overlaps the notes as they play so they sound better.

Cart #p8edulib-1 | 2023-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v01 02-04-23)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #sort_animated-0 | 2023-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This here is the sort demo by Zep that I animated. I don't really like how the code looks, but it works very well.

Hope you enjoy

EDIT: Now without the one frame delay that was in the first version

bilodau

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->