BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

BZB is a busy bee and needs your guidance to reach her hive.

Cart #crosspollinator-1 | 2024-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Each garden has 36 patches on a 6x6 grid and there are two flowers on each flower bed patch.
BZB will fly, orthogonally, from one patch to another, as long as the two patches have one flower in common.
Note that BZB cannot be convinced to fly to a patch she has been before, since such patch has no pollen left.

Help BZB bring the most pollen to the hive.

How to play

⬅️/➡️/⬆️/⬇️: move cursor to adjacent patch
❎: move bee to cursor patch (if possible)
🅾️: undo, move bee to previous patch

Goal

Guide the bee to the hive through the longest path to collect the most pollen and thus produce the most honey.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

This code uses 11% CPU according to Pico-8, but if I delete the v[0]=1 lines in the if false block it uses 7% CPU:

v={}
::_::
if false then
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
 v[0]=1
end
for i=0,1023 do
 v[0]=5
 v[0]=5
 v[0]=5
 v[0]=5
end
flip()
goto _

Other observations:

• If I put the v[0]=1 lines in a for loop with a huge iteration count this code uses 7% CPU. (No bug.)
  • If I put this code into _update() or _draw() it uses 7% CPU. (No bug.)
  • Adding / removing v[0]=5 lines bumps CPU by roughly 3% per line.
  • Replacing v[0] with v[1] makes no difference.
  • Pico-8 does act on this CPU info, the contents of the if false block will affect whether Pico-8 visibly stutters if I add draw code and the non-executing lines push CPU over 100%.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

I had only played with the AI-generation stuff without any real thought as to how I can actually benefit from it. But with the release of Don't Dig Up the Dead, I had a happy accident when using AI to generate some supporting art.

Don't Dig Up the Dead uses a mix of borrowed and original in-game assets. Music and sound came from some packs and some of the animation came from other games, but a large part of what you see is my own art and I'm proud that I was able to put something together that felt like it all belonged. There's enough of "me" in what people see that I'm not embarrassed to show it off.

I marched along making my game and got it to a very happy spot that I thought I was ready to release and be done. But then AI showed up. I took the bait like the rest of the world and started playing around with the art generation AI to see what it would do...just for fun without any real intent to use it for anything. But then I thought, "hey, I could use this to make art for my game." My game was done so this wasn't about generating pixels or sprites, just supporting material, like cover art and promotional stuff.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #dontdig-1 | 2023-01-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Every hole digs up a soul

You must find 3 magic relics to help rid the land of evil. Use the Find-O-Meter and your trusty shovel to search the forest. But if you dig up the dead you'll need to fight them off to stay alive, so pay attention to everything you unearth...it might just save your life.

• Find more than 30 items scattered throughout a spooky forest
  • Challenging shmup action as you fight off the dead
  • Simple and rewarding inventory management
  • Secrets and riddles abound

Playing the game

For PICO8 owners: Play through Splore or by running load #dontdig from the PICO8 commandline.

Gamepad recommended for best experience.

• D-Pad/Arrows: Move your character
  • B Button/Z: Action button. Hold down to dig and shoot.
  • A Button/X: Inventory
  • Start/P: Pause and settings
  • Read the manual to learn more (PDF)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

26 comments

Cart #nearmiss-0 | 2023-01-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This prototype was made for Pico-View, a monthly web-zine hosted here on the BBS and also on NerdyTeachers.com.

You are challenged with taking on this mechanic of rewarding the player for nearly missing obstacles.

You can:
1) Play this prototype as-is, and share your highscores below.
2) Take this cart, and edit it as much as you'd like to create your own spin-off!

Don't forget to share it here on the BBS with the tag "Prototype Party" so we can see all the imaginative creations that all started from this prototype. And keep your eyes out for more in the coming issues of Pico-View!

Read the full issue here:
BBS Pico-View

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #nummuncher-1 | 2023-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Its Number Munchers... but only multiples. (You can enable hints in the pause menu.)

1 comment

Alien Bread

Antoine Foucault

Cart #alienbread-1 | 2023-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Alien Bread is a short experimental shooter that allowed me to learn the basics of Pico-8.
I will continue improving my Pico-8 skills and create small prototypes and short games.
Don't hesitate to give me feedbacks!

Story

Play as a piece of bread whose day was interrupted by aliens!
Shoot butter to attack your otherworldly enemies!

Controls

Arrow keys - Move
C / V - Shoot
X / Z (hold) - Switch to horizontal shoot mode

0 comments

Cart #johosurara-1 | 2023-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

7 comments

Cart #mypacman-0 | 2023-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is my pacman game i made from scratch!

p.s. does anyone know how to make an if e.g.=another e.g. then its not working for me:(

1 comment

Cart #littlefield-0 | 2023-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

just a little first project
char is my sona
arrows to move

0 comments

Tasty Orange Juice

Spilling - liquid physics simulation

How to use

• Arrows to move
  • Z/X to change angle

Cart #orange_juice_2-0 | 2023-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

[sfx]

I don't know if people are still having problems with the inline music player but here's a cart with the song just in case.

Cart #mibamawojo-0 | 2023-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I've made no attempt to optimize space and used pretty much all the sfx slots. Though some are duplicated just so if you happen to listen on the editor music/sfx tab it's kind of satisfying to watch. To me at least.

0 comments

switching between custom and default fonts (?"\015") behaves a bit strangely; the first line of text is spaced differently from the rest, depending on whether:

1. custom fonts are enabled by default (poke(0x5f58,0x81)), and
  2. the line height (peek(0x5602)) is more or less than 6 (the size of the default font)

run this cart to see what I mean:

Cart #kahedapibi-1 | 2023-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

specifically:

1. when the custom font is enabled by default and the custom font's height is more than 6, the default-font text in this cart has a large gap between the first and second lines:
  1. when the custom font is not enabled by default and the custom font's height is less than 6, the custom-font text in this cart has a large gap between the first and second lines:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #theblockydead-6 | 2024-01-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Prologue

PIXBURGH, PIXELVANIA, 5/13/2023 - The city has fallen. The dead pixels have taken over. You can hear them growling all around you. They hide everywhere & pop out when you least expect it. They smell you, they get hungry. Hungry for pixel flesh. You can outrun 'em . . . for awhile. The longer you avoid them though, the faster & more determined they get. They got Spot, they got Dot, and now they're after me. I'm the last one left. Well, me & my buddy Point up in the tower. He's real good with fixin' stuff up, but parts & power are scarce. Every now & then he'll hit me on the radio with a new place to hide, or to let me know he's got a few seconds of juice for the lights & fences. Heck, sometimes he even rigs up a bomb for me to blast a few of the dead to oblivion! Just hoping it's enough. Hoping I can hold out long enough for them to give up & maybe take out a few along the way.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #ninjaplatformer-3 | 2023-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #jujakokuf-0 | 2023-01-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Cart #fightinggalaxy-0 | 2023-01-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my another creation, not finished yet. Lazy Dev inspiration.
I challenged myself to create a game each month.
This the january one ;)

Many bugs, but i try to increase my skills and learn more about how to make video games, and algorithmics.

1 comment

There were a lot of pico-8 games this time on Ludum Dare. One of them even got the first place on sound!

I thought people here would be interested, so I made a table.
(You can click on the game names, somehow the link styling does not appear inside the markdown table).

Name Author Overall Fun Innovation Theme Graphics Audio Humor Mood
Hyper Harvest @orion-black 12 14 87 259 96 134 - -
Adelie - Water Under the Bridge @Meep 17 6 121 127 12 122 111 51
The Crystallographer @pianoman373 32 68 24 13 18 50 - 32
You're Under Harvest @mastoast 59 27 156 90 106 1 95 98

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

So I'm fairly new to PICO-8, and while I have a basic (very lightly said, lol) understanding of making a game on the program, I'm having difficulties finding any guides or tutorials about how to use time properly - particularly with making an intro sequence for a game.

Example: After the game starts up, I want to have the music start after 1 second (along with my logo) into the game, but from the methods I've tried, it results in the first note of the track playing in a continuous loop.

if (time()-last)>1 then 
   music(0)
   spr(192,48,48,4,4)
end

I know the problem is that it repeats the desired action with every value past 1, but I don't know how to only have this happen once.

If there's anyone that knows of any guides/tutorials or has some tips or solutions to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

3 comments

Cart #pico_frutti_0_1-0 | 2023-01-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Do you remember Tutti Frutti? That was my favourite game on Commodore Plus/4. :)
Not bugfree, but I thint it is playable.

Collect all cherries, than go back to home. If you eat a cherry, after a while you burp up a seed that you can spit out. Be careful with the apples! They can fall on your head and kill you, but they also kill opponents (the acid apples).

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->