BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #operation_pico_v1_2-0 | 2023-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Video of the gameplay

Version Update

Version 1.2

• Improved Gameplay

Version 1.1

• New Label
  • Improved Gameplay
  • Change of Controls
  • Improved Graphics
  • New End of Game
  • Improved code

Thanks to Freds72 and Heracleum for all the great suggestions.

Background of Operation Pico

Operation Pico is based on an old favourite of mine, Operation Wolf first released in 1987. I enjoyed playing it at my local arcades and on my ZX Spectrum 128k with the best of gameplay on my great Commodore Amiga 500.

In Operation Pico there are six stages and 3 levels of gameplay to sink your teeth into.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #gogogardenv1-3 | 2023-01-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

🖱️ to move
❎ to click

Explaination

"Go-Go Garden" is a game with only a few minutes of cute and charming gameplay each day. From day to day you can:

-Water your plants to ensure they grow the next day!
-Play with your plants (just tap them and you'll understand)...
-Buy and sell plants to save up for your perfect garden!

If you miss a day then don't worry! I'll make sure your plants don't die for you.

Behind The Scenes

The original 8 plants and game were made in three days, to see what I could do in just three days. I've wanted to make a virtual pet game for about a month now, but I was pushed over the edge by this art by @R3DZ3R_Florie on twitter:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

Cart #dtd_fruitdrop-2 | 2023-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #dtd_fruitdrop-0 | 2023-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first tutorial completed. This starts my journey into pico-8 :)

2 comments

Cart #jegapojifo-0 | 2023-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Press Z to change lanes.

1 comment

Cart #kern_snippet-1 | 2023-01-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I was making a tool to help me make the font for my game and I decided to share it.
I think this is pretty much finalized... you put your font in the sprite sheet as normal like @zep's #font_snippet I took some code from,
X to save Z to swap to the adjusting view where you can nudge around each character by selecting with X.
Then when you save it exports it to clipboard as a binary string with characters 0..15 escapecoded out. It also saves it to memory in the top of the sheet so if you do it locally it'll save your progress for later.

I got rid of the extra encoding stuff cause it wasn't really helpful. now ecodes it properly and stuff.
Just paste the string copied to clipboard in your cart and your good to go. (Of course in puny mode)

1 comment

Cart #onemoreroguelike-3 | 2023-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CONTROLS

X-Inventory

Up/Down/Right/Left Arrows- Movement

HISTORY

It is a roguelike, your mission will be to rescue the maiden who is at the top of the tower. But you must be careful! Because in each room there will be monsters lurking, although you can defend yourself with the weapons and equipment you find, just as you can heal yourself with the food you find; Although the latter can have both positive and negative effects. So be careful and go into the little adventure, and try if you can save the maiden.

This game was created thanks to the "Porklike tutorial" from Lazy Dev Academy. thank you very much @Kristman

[ Continue Reading.. ]

21 comments

Pitfall 2: Lost Caverns

Cart #pitfall2-0 | 2023-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License | Edit

Controls
In-game
Directions: Move Harry
O/X buttons: Jump

Menus
Directions: Move cursor
O button: Confirm
X button: Back

Hello everybody!
I am pretty new on the forum, but I'm not new to programming on Lua game engine.
I got the Pico8 to spare some of my time into game programming, even if it's not my main activity.
So far, I only did a couple of little incomplete games that are not worth sharing here, but as a challenge last year, after doing my own conversion of the classic game Pitfall (that is not worth sharing here neither), I decided to do a conversion of Pitfall 2, as the original game was more ambitious, with more gameplay variety and an iconic music track.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #kb_has-2 | 2023-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

"Hide and Seek" is essentially a more retro version of an RPG maker horror game, including the setting being a high school in a vaguely anime-esque location.

It was designed to be played in one setting, but also has 2 endings, so I put in an option in the pause menu to skip to the branching part, which is about halfway through. The text can be gotten through pretty quickly if you keep pressing x or o, though. Also, on death, the player character is just placed at the entrance of the school with all progress still saved. I felt setting the player back at all wouldn't really be a good idea under the given constraints.

This is a port of my entry to the 4th Nokia phone jam last year. It's one of a couple games I've made in silly ways that I've been thinking would make more sense in pico-8, but that I wasn't sure until recently how to actually fit into pico-8's restrictions. The idea is that most of the entries were going to be light arcade-y stuff, so I felt like doing the polar opposite. I considered including more of the originally planned content that was cut during the jam, but I was already having trouble with how to fit all the images, so I decided not to. However, I did add a few quality of life stuff and rearrange the text to be easier to read.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #lines_sf-1 | 2023-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Lines is my implementation of a very famous puzzle game!

And here is the code!!!

https://github.com/isacben/lines

6 comments

Cart #snakeii-0 | 2023-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This a little demake of Snake II from Nokia 1100. I wanted to implement some fancy features of the original game but that I hardly find in the clones (and know I can see why). I hope you like it, and thanks for playing!

4 comments

Cart #nayenogiko-0 | 2023-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

12Jan23 today i learnt..
1st i edit Nerdy teacher Fruit picker and added 3 framesprite for the player
2nd i added sound when the fruit go inside basket
3rd i added laser to shoot the fruit from Lazy GameDev
4th added laser and animated sprite accompanied the main sprite from Lazy GameDev shmup tutorials
5th i lost all the fruits....
will continue experimenting

Want
-the fruit to comeback
-maybe edit background

thx

why i pressed Esc button after testing this on the website...

0 comments

hi there
i'm very new to Pico8 and just started editing games

How do i add sfx sounds whenever colliding with object? i'm editing fruit drop from Nerdy Teachers, and want to add soundfx when the fruit hit the basket,..

do i have to put the sfx(0) in the

update _init()

update _update()

update _draw()

?
thank you

edit: i manage to trigger soundfx after pasted the soundx(0) before del(fruits,fruit) in the function update
but it seems theres only 1 fruit drop....still figuring out..tq

basket_sprite=1
player_sprite=2

player_x=64
player_y=100

fruits={}
fruit_start=16
fruit_count=6
fruit_interval=16

gravity=1
level=1
points=0

function _init()
for i=1,level do
fruit={
sprite=flr(rnd(fruit_count)+fruit_start),
x=flr(rnd(120)+5),
y=i*(-fruit_interval)
}
add(fruits,fruit)
end

function _init()

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I'll go ahead an @zep this, since it's something that isn't even addressed in the forum rules as far as I can tell.

1.Is it okay to post a cartridge that has full screen realistic-ish graphic violence of a disturbing nature?

2.Also, is it okay for a posted cartridge to have implied nudity in the form of a stick figure outline with hair and 2 dots for eyes, with no sexual overtones?

3.If not, what would be the best way give access to such a cartridge without posting it?

My general opinion on content restrictions is that any type of game that isn't intentionally spreading harmful misinformation or inciting real life violence should be okay to make, but that they should only be distributed through channels that reasonably ensure the recipients actually want and are allowed to have the kind of content being portrayed. This is relevant, because posting here in the forums also means giving access to any younger game dev students that might be learning through pico-8. Further, I haven't seen any way to block the posting of games to Splore nor any way to even make it clear how mature of content a game has.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

I keep running into scenarios where knowing what algorithm pico-8 uses for random number generation would come in handy. Does anyone know what it is or how to get that info? Thanks!

8 comments

I'm currently attempting to port a game from a very silly game jam to pico-8, since I feel like it'd fit better for the most part. However, while debugging I've discovered that all my images are being handled very slightly wrong.

The images in question are black and white, using every 4 bits to store 4 pixels, and they're loaded into data carts by copying strings of hexadecimal into pico-8 (the idea being to simplify the entire process by focusing on 1 hexadecimal digit as the base block of data). To then reduce the data size, any characters that are "0" or "F" (all white or a black pixels) is encoded with a runtime length using the next 8 bits.

The problem is that both the parts that draw the images and the parts that sample the images for use in collision detection are shifted 4 pixels to the left (wrapping).

This is the function that decodes them:

function image_load(addr, len)
  local im = {}
  local s = ""
  for i=addr,addr+len-1 do

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=124112#p)
7 comments

Cart #muzumiyubu-0 | 2023-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

To move, point to the angle of movement and press Z to move forward.
To shoot, left click.

1 comment

Cart #defenderofthecrown-0 | 2023-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

WishItWare Games just released a demake of the iconic Amiga game Defender of the Crown. Alas, this is just the title screen and music for now, because to be honest, as much as I loved the original game back then, I don't think it's interesting enough to demake it completely today. But well I can't promise I did not already start working on another screen and tune, so who knows?

3 comments

Cart #shazabi1-0 | 2023-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Go deep into the catacombs, rescue your friends and try to find the artefact.

This is the English version of a small game I made as a gift on a retro handheld during a community Secret Santa in 2022. Since version 1.3 you can switch between German and English in the Pico8 menu. [Yes. I made a localization for a Pico8 game ]. The English version has less insider and should be playable and understandable also when you don't know who those folks are, you are meeting.

Go 5 levels deep, find keys, fight snakes, bears, bats and .... blobs(?) who broke out from a zoo (ok, it's all a bit strange

• Arrow keys -> Move, attack, interact
  • x -> dialogs, continue

Switch language and enable speedrun display mode in Pico Menu

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

I'm trying to play some pico-8 games online on my Galaxy A8, and the sound sounds horrible. My Galaxy Tab S6 doesn't have this problem.

0 comments

Cart #marley_beta-30 | 2024-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's a little game I'm currently working on. My first Pico-8 game.
Guide Marley through a fun little adventure.

I started from scratch and made everything myself. I also composed the music.
I think that all these hours of work pretty much paid off, and I'm generally proud of the result.

I'd like to know what you think of it, and if you find any bugs. I'm open to criticism, so tell me what you like and what you don't.

Special thanks to @dw817 and @merwok who gave me tips to optimize the game.

Have fun!

bilodau

P.S. Here's the very first Marley version I uploaded on this website. Originally uploaded on Jan 10 2023.

There is a known bug in it if you try interact with the vault door while the vault door return prompt is shown and you press x. Which may lead to Marley teleporting at the wrong spot or even to a softlock.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

19 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->