BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Squid Defense

Cart #squiddefence-4 | 2022-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Summary

Hi, This is my game Squid Defense that (originally for V1.) I spent a little over 8 days working on!
I spent forever trying to make sure it was perfect, but it has some bugs and annoying things to it but I hope it's still fun still. : )

(Might update this later, IDK.)

Goal

Try to defend the Beachball by shooting various sea creatures with ink! (ink has limited use with quick recharge.)
your ball has 4hp and it heals by 1hp at the end of a wave.

Also watch out for the ever changing tide, it might make you rethink how you need to play!

The # of stars after a map's name show the difficulty of that map, every map has 20 waves see if you can beat them!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

Cart #zoweraroro-0 | 2020-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

press z to generate

1 comment

Greetings all!

I recently discovered Pico-8 and have been having a good ol' time messing around with it.

I wanted to make a suggestion in the hope someone finds it interesting enough to pick up. (I don't know if something like this already exists, in which case kindly point it out to me!)

Anyway, my idea is to have a website where pico-8 fans - especially those with artistic ability and generosity of spirit (both of which are found in abundance in this community btw!) - can post sprites. Users could browse all available sprites, clicking the ones they would like to use, and finally click on a download button which would produce an empty p8 cartridge containing those sprites that they selected.

Users wishing to upload sprites could upload cartridges from which the sprites could be extracted, or there could be an online pixel art editor thingy, like Pico-8's own, if they wanted to draw the sprite right there.

The sprites could be categorised by genre/uploader/tags etc.

5 comments

Cart #gunkalpha5-1 | 2020-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Howdy, this is my kinda shitty first attempt at making a game. It took me three days to learn enough about Lua and Pico-8 to get to this point, and there's still a lot of stuff I want to add to it, but it's finally to the point where I'm comfortable showing it to people.

Arrow keys to move, x to dash.

Known Issues

-Enemies can overlap, becoming one super enemy (this does not make them any more dangerous)
-Sometimes when the flower respawns, it respawns in the same location it was in, giving the player double points and potentially spawning double enemies.

Feedback is welcome, specifically about the code, as it's my first project. The game isn't super fun yet, I'm working on that.

Update 7.27.2020:

Enemies no longer overlap, but they do walk in lockstep. Added a global score counter and a sound effect if you try to dash without a charge.

Update 7.29.2020:

Slightly updated flower sprite, massively cleaned code, enemies are now asynchronous and score now updates in increments of 10

0 comments

Anyone else not get sound on RetroPie? I've used Pico-8 on an RPi3 B+, and now the RPi 4. Sound works fine in any other application, but I never get any in Pico8. I'm hoping somebody has a suggestion.

0 comments

Cart #salagander-1 | 2020-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Salagander

Controls: arrow keys to move and jump, Z to restart a level

Salamanders have a goal: to reach the great pie in the sky. They also have a problem: they’re not that bright and each of them will repeat what the salamander before them did. No matter what.

You control the first salamander who decided to get to the pie. Can you make them behave?

Extra thoughts on the design of the game at this Twitter thread!

Edit: updated new version with jump bound to X as well for controllers. Also you can change your salamander's color by pressing it in the very first level!

13 comments

Hello everyone,

I'm second year Japanese university student exploring game design.
This is my first time to make game.
My teacher introduced us to Mboffin's tutorial:
https://mboffin.itch.io/pico-8-top-down-adventure-game-tutorial
This is my remix.

I would appreciate any constructive comments.

I would like to make more games.

thank you very mach

初めて作ったゲームであり、P8のプログラムもよくわかっていなかったためにてこずりました。
remixが完成できてよかったです。今度はまた違ったゲームも作っていきたいです。

ccadventureremixtutorial

Cart #icecrusherm-0 | 2020-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #drift_king_brink_edition_v_1-2 | 2020-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Took part in Kiwijam last week and had a blast making a drifting game.

I spent the week polishing it a little and would love some more feedback on it.

There are a few things I still want to fix up, mainly the music and sound effects.

Thanks for checking this out :D

0 comments

After searching and testing for a solid hour, I still can't seem to figure this out. If anyone can clarify or point me to the correct docs, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

print(1) --1
print('hi',10,10) --hi ...at position (10,10)
print(1,10,10) --0x0001.0000 ...at position (0,0) <-- why?

Is that third scenario supposed to print in hex?

On the Wiki's print() page, this supposedly works as expected:

-- print the player x position just inside the upper left corner, in red
print(player.x,2,2,8)

So is this a bug, or am I missing something?

2 comments

Cart #meatris-1 | 2020-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An attempt to cross Tetris and Super Meat Boy. Or something like that.

You can control the Tetris with arrow keys, and the Meat Boy with ESDF. You can challenge your multitasking skills, or try playing with another person, either cooperatively or competitevely, either might be fun.

Gravity increases linearly as you clear lines in this version.

There's no proper fail state yet, if Meat Boy dies, he disappears, if the well fills, it keeps spawning new pieces in crazy ways.

5 comments

Cart #startrax_02-6 | 2020-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

28.07.2020: Added a title screen with a WIP version of the original main theme

26.07.2020: Added background images and a nice little color lookup shadow :D
Also, added one of the lose conditions (falling off-track) and fading out/in on entry

I'm uploading the current (5-year-old) version of Startrax, an itty bitty Skyroads clone, to make it available for reference (and to make me get over my laziness and properly update it!)
Here's a tweet from when I started making this game: tweet

Currently there's no win conditions, and just one single (debug) track - working on some more stuff to come! '^^

Controls:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #packbat_taptempo-1 | 2020-08-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This one is super basic and was originally just going to be a utility within a bigger project, but it turned out so useful by itself that I wanted to share it. I'm sure not everyone has this problem, but I've found that changing the tempo after the SFX is written usually doesn't feel right - the piece ends up being built to make sense at the tempo it was created at.

To use the tap tempo tool, you decide what kind of rhythm you want to use, pick beats to tap on, figure out how many SFX lines between each beat you're tapping on, set that number appropriately, and tap it out.

(A couple examples: if I'm tapping quarter notes that I'll later subdivide into sixteenth notes, I leave it on 4 and tap every quarter note; if I'm planning to use a

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Hello

I would love some closure on this issue, as i have asked a few times and sent an email to [email protected] with no reply. I have seen a post from a few years ago with this same issue, and it was resolved by @zep changing it himself, which is what i would like to happen here, or for username changing to be implemented into the lexaloffle website.

Thanks

0 comments

heya!

during lockdown i've been on and off making a little game with the brilliant music maker alice boyd, and i'd like to share the latest build of it/get feedback to make it even better.

Cart #obsta8-0 | 2020-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

if you could fill in this form about how you found the game i will love you forever

https://forms.gle/bBqQpix4aLPpnu6FA

0 comments

Cart #gamejamdor2-0 | 2020-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2nd annual GamejamDOR otherwise known at GamejamDOR2. Mostly a WIP, mostly done. Needs polish and probably a bunch of other stuff. But it works and I don't think crashes :D

0 comments

Cart #wogoyozuga-0 | 2020-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #yomgokwi-0 | 2020-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with the lilly pad. I want to make it so that when the player is on the lilly pad, the game doesn't end. I've had a go, but I just made it so that all of the water is not longer a lose tile. I've considered making the lilly pad tile replace the next tile it moves to, but that seems like a lot of effort. Do I need to make individual tiles for each river tile?

Thanks,
Moon

4 comments

Cart #obstamusic2-1 | 2020-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #sparkmod-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

18 comments

Cart #leftturn-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Left Turn is a game, a true story, a glimpse of a better reality.

My entry for the Post-Police Design Challenge.
https://itch.io/jam/post-police-design-challenge

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->