BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #picocraft_alpha-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls:
left and right arrows: move
up and down arrows: scroll through inventory
x: peck or place block
z: (when on the ground) start flying; (when in the air) descend

This is a pet project I want to eventually clean up and take further. The limited control input restricted a lot of things for now and overall it is very limited right now. Nonetheless, I hope some of y'all get some fun out of it!

0 comments

Welcome to the world of (circles, literally!)

By COD3(evman2k)

This is a game like agar.io and diep.io except you can't clone yourself!

How to play

OKAY, for anyone who doesn't know how to play diep.io or agar.io. It's simple like other .io's!
You play as a black hole(CIRCLE) that eats other SMALLER circles than you. Also, use the arrow keys to move.

How to use the menu

Arrow keys left and right to switch game modes. To start your game, just press the key enter(return) (Don't try to click a piece of text like "ARENA.")

More info

There are five teams: red, blue, FFA, Neutral(Arena closers are on this team), and ARENA TYPES(The arena and The border is on this team.)

When naming your circle, you use the keyboard to type your name. Even curse words (I don't care what name you input.)

The game

There are two versions of this game: The dev version and the regular version (this is the regular version).
Will you get up to 50 points?

Cart #blackholeio-1 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #stealthscape-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

STLTHSCPE (Stealthscape Demake)

A fast-paced momentum-based speed game based on my Early Access title "Stealthscape"

Description

This is a Demake of my game Stealthscape. The game's feel and controls are near 1:1 with the original game and I had a blast making it. This is my first ever PICO-8 game after owning PICO-8 for a long time but not doing much with it, so I hope you enjoy <3

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

I'm porting the classic Atari 2600 game Adventure from one tightly-limited platform to another. The goal is to be as close to the original as possible for now. I have some ideas for more rooms and monsters and whatnot, but that will have to wait.

Cart #poyradufa-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I know there are other ports out there, but I'm not trying to compete with anyone, I'm just using this activity to teach myself Lua while stuck at home.

I've been able to take full advantage of the original game's assembly source code, and slides from a talk by the author.

This has been pretty fun. The limitations of the Pico-8 platform have been challenging. You might notice that some of the mazes are different, this is due to the fact that the Atari 2600 had more horizontal "tiles" than the Pico-8 (20 vs 16). I adapted what I could to keep the feel of the original, even using each room's horizontal mirroring logic from the original.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #kitty-1 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I took the wander demo and changed it a bit by making it slightly more "frogger"-y. I thought it might be fun if somebody else would grab the cart and add something else to it, until we have a pico8-kitty frogger.

:)

0 comments

Cart #tayohuzabe-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm considering making an adventure game with fullscreen backgrounds stored as sets of instructions for drawing, so I tried making a flood fill algorithm in the scanline variety, but found it to be rather slow. Even after fiddling with methods, such as wasting memory to avoid management and making the algorithm twice as long to avoid ever checking a pixel twice, I could only get it down to %128 cpu usage for the test case. Most optimizations I tried saved less than %1 cpu. If told to fill the entire screen, it goes even further up to %267 cpu.

It's definitely fast enough for drawing images that don't need redrawing every frame, but it'd be nice if it were fast enough for real time usage. Anyone know a way to make it faster?

5 comments

Hello

I think that the 'themes' selection in config has a lot of potential for other themes, such as ones based on past consoles, different colour schemes or perhaps even an ability to add an image of your choosing to the background of the code editor. I'm not sure if this would be a huge amount of work but i see great potential in it and i would love to see a few more themes available. Of course, PICO-8 still would need to have a signature trait to ensure its fantasy console feel but i think that a few customisable options would keep the feel but offer a touch of personal preferance to the editor.

Take this with a pinch of salt @zep , just an idea

P.S. How do i change my username?

Thanks

1 comment

Cart #space-1 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

SPACE is a game made by Hazmat Studios

The only objective is to win as many rounds as you can!

Controls:

Left/Right arrow keys for Rotate

Up/Down arrow keys for Thrust

X for shooting and menu

1 comment

Cart #zuyjakime-3 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #zuyjakime-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

im new dont judge me

So this is my first project, im going to create something else now, this was a test.

1 comment

Cart #kohididawo-0 | 2020-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

working on an rpg hope it comes out soon. send tips and tricks as this is my first game

1 comment

Cart #refebeziw-5 | 2020-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey all! This is my first little Pico-8 experiment, and like I almost always do with any game engine, a Snake clone was first on the list. I'm not a great artist, so excuse the lack of polish in the sprites ^^

Points by fruit type:

• Apple - 1 point
  • Plum - 1 point
  • Blueberry - 1 point
  • Peach - 1 point
  • Blackberry - 1 point
  • Bronze apple - 2 points
  • Silver apple - 5 points
  • Golden apple - 10 points

Each fruit you eat will increase the length of your tail by 1 tile.
Going off the edge of the screen will wrap you around to the other side.
Don't run into your tail, and try to survive as long as you can!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Valve Intro made in PICO-8 by yours truly during the span of about a day

Cart #valve-1 | 2020-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

5 comments

Cart #drewbirthday-1 | 2020-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

happy birthday!

have fun!

0 comments

Cart #pico8tale-4 | 2020-11-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello everybody! I have made a huge update in my game that makes it more playable. Also, I wanted to tell you something about it that could help you. If you press the buttons "left" and "up" or "left" and "down" or "up" or anything like that you will move diagonally. This tip ill help you a lot.

4 comments

hey guys!!! this is my first cartridge that wasnt made following any tutorials, it took a lot of hair-pulling (im not a programmer) but i got it to a state where im cool with releasing a demo!!!

controls are X to fire, square to focus movement

see how high of a score you can get and post it in the comments!!!

at some point i want to make this into a full game with levels and and bosses and everything, but i figured since i have a self-contained demo working i might as well post it

also, any feedback would be appreciated!!!!

Cart #flower_and_flame_demo-0 | 2020-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

I currently own PICO-8, but the website doesn't think it needs to be updated. Anybody know how to fix this?

Yes, I did use inspect to edit out my email.

2 comments

Cart #picomol-0 | 2020-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

New version below, this is the first version

This is a remake of a game I coded mumble years ago with allegro.
It's still very much WIP, I started today and just got the basics working and some rough sprites drawn.

You can switch from joypad to mouse using a flag in the the code - which I would recommend if you can.
I enabled the mouse emulation in this cart, since the manual mentioned problems with mouse support on the bbs.

Issues:

• There is a bug when picking up an atom (it doesn't connect the free electrons to nearby other free electrons)
  • in mouse emulation there is no bounds checking

Todo:

• an actual goal for the game
  • removing molecules when all electrons are bound

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #midnightbutter-0 | 2020-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

It's midnight. You've been thrown awake by infernal craving. You must find your way through the darkness to find the jar of peanut butter. Avoid your toys, cracks in the floor, and potted plants as they will draw attention to your sneaking. Trip over three and it's back to bed for you. However, if you make it past the obstacles safely, you'll have that sweet midnight butter inside of you.

This was made in 5 days for the Weekly Game Jam 158 - Replay.

0 comments

Hey,

I have a big list of variables in the format:

a=1
b=2
c=3

etc.

I was wondering what the fastest way is to convert it into this format:

a,b,c=1,2,3

Is there an online tool to do this or something someone can point me to?

P.s. @zep I would like to change my username, is this possible? I have also pinged you an email.

1 comment

Not sure if anyone has posted a smap() yet, but it's reasonably straightforward to implement with tline, so here's mine.

Parameters are:
cx,cy,cw,ch Specify a region in the tile map. Measured in tiles.
sx,sy,sw,sh Region on the screen to map to.
flipx,flipy Whether to flip horizontally and/or vertically.
layers Layer flags. Same as for map().

You need to supply at least the c and s parameters.

function smap(cx,cy,cw,ch,sx,sy,sw,sh,flipx,flipy,layers)

-- negative screen sizes
 if(sw<0)flipx=not flipx sx+=sw
 if(sh<0)flipy=not flipy sy+=sh
 sw,sh=abs(sw),abs(sh)

-- delta
 local dx,dy=cw/sw,ch/sh

-- apply flip
 if flipx then
  cx+=cw
  dx=-dx
 end
 if flipy then