BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hii picoerss!

first time posting here.

Anyways after a couple year hiatus doing things on pico 8 I read about new serial communication with outside processes;

So I wandered if anyone has done any trials communicating pico-8 with something like nodejs. I don't if I should simulate gpio pins (don't know if that can be done in x86) or is there another approach. I know about prevous work simulating gpios on html exports but I couldn't find something similar in a non-web enviroment.

I've been researching P2P protocols like ssb and dat and it would be awesome to be able to connect those protocols to pico8 and build small p2p apps in it (just being able to exchange small strings between pico8 and nodejs would suffice, I think...)

2 comments

Cart #broabday-0 | 2020-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Hi dad!
look at me go with a card, made just in time!
anyhoo...

Controls:

(O)/Z: Speed up
(<) : Jump to previous marker
(>) : Jump to next marker

ENJOY

ENJOY

ENJOY

ENJOY

ENJOY

0 comments

fixed a bug in level 9 completion
-- fixed another bug that skipped level 8 --

now 10 levels

Cart #doublemaze-7 | 2020-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

another update to this

Cart #doublemaze-5 | 2020-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

changelog:
levels

updated

Cart #doublemaze-2 | 2020-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the Pico-8 community and just downloaded it with the intention to explore some games but to mainly create some myself. I have a good amount of coding experience, although not much experience in the area of art/visual game design (but my intention is to improve in that area).

I'm open to any and all suggestions and/or tips for designing games for Pico-8 and games in general. Really anything can help, even things that may seem obvious to most Pico-8 game-designer "beginners."

Looking forward to hopefully having a game playable sometime in the future!

1 comment

Cart #shyventure-4 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little proyect to learn about pico-8 based on the Top down adventure game tutorials by Dylan Bennett

-Now with music!
-Now with something to do i guess

-Now there's also this version with "funkier" sprites.

Cart #shyventure_funky-1 | 2020-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

6 comments

Cart #stretched_city-3 | 2020-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Introduction

Stretched City is a tiny room editor for PICO-8 games.
It can be used for other programs as well, but then you have to parse the string yourself.

The tool works in the web, but for a more smoother experience I would recommend you to use it in PICO-8.

A room is 16x16 in tile-size. It goes from row to row writing down the id of that tile. 0 represent an empty tile.
So if you want to use this in another program it should not be that difficult to parse the string.

To load your string into the map in PICO-8 use this method:

function load_room(room_str)
    local room=split(room_str)
    local m_x=0
    local m_y=0
    for i=1,#room do
        mset(m_x,m_y,room

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=79089#p)
2 comments

Cart #tusakunubo-0 | 2020-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

-- un jour ca sera vide
-- by noemie sauvage
-- helped by fabrice de chaumont, many thanks to him
-- music provided by robbyduguay

One summer on the beach in Normandy, France, a boy meets another, Baptiste. His new friend has a "perfect family" while he has only a grandmother with a strong accent and a "monstrous" aunt.
They have fun watering jellyfish (press x) and avoid Baptiste's grandmother, aunt and mother. Otherwise they are ashamed!

1 comment

Cart #pseudo3d-0 | 2020-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

i figured id try my hand at a basic raycasting thing, kinda like doom
its really weird but it 'works' so that's a plus

have fun if you even could? it's just a labyrinth/series of rooms with a few coloured walls thrown in

3 comments

Shot and Evade infinite amount of asteroids!
It is an early stage game.

update v0.3 (2020-07-12)

• Add 3 difficulty options
  • Separate record for each difficulty option

Cart #snake_iaster_0-3 | 2020-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

update v0.2 (2020-07-09)

• Add background
  • Add screen shaking when colliding with an asteroid
0 comments

Space Crawler is a turn based dungeon crawler with Sci-Fi setting, inspired by StarCrawlers.

Thanks to freds72 and waynau

Any comments or criticisms are welcome :)

release 1.5.0 (2024-09-03)

• add range in combat
    • influences weapon effectiveness
    • influences flee percentage
  • updated infopoint
  • small updates in mission screen
  • tweaked inventory on combat
    (checks the conditions for the turn change and exits if it is the enemy's turn)

Cart #snake_scrwl_1-42 | 2024-09-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

release 1.4.6 (2024-06-30)

• fix "hacking" skill
  • tweaked flee

release 1.4.5 (2024-06-28)

• fix "crawler" skill

release 1.4.4 (2024-06-27)

• fix game end text

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Space Race

Cart #spacerace-2 | 2020-07-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Your private space company SpicoX must successfully deliver 10 rockets to orbit
to win a government contract. Along the way, each rocket will have to dodge its
way through an ever-growing field of space
debris.

As a private space startup, money is tight. Your company only has enough
funding to lose 3 rockets. Any more and you will run out of money and be forced
out of business.

Controls

Up and down arrow keys - control your spaceship.

3 comments

...but you might not like it. Here it is:

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/C2ui4anDwBc

The idea is very simple: make 2 versions of the cart, called A and B, running essentially the same game, but have them display different parts of the game (in this demo, based on Jelpi, I simply shifted the camera); cart A is the one you actually play on, it receives inputs and sends them to cart B, which uses them, ensuring that exactly the same thing is going on in both. (as long as the game is deterministic, otherwise you'll have to send over the random seed or something)

I first had this idea a few months ago, but couldn't figure out how to send the data from one cart to another in real time; I hoped to accomplish this using the system clipboard, but it turned out that it can only be read whenever the user presses Ctrl+V, so you can't just do it every single frame.

With the release of PICO-8 v0.2.1 it became possible to (easily) do this using the serial() function, because it now allows you to use stdin and stdout IO streams of the current PICO-8 process. Stdin is 0x804 and stdout is 0x805. All you need to do is create a linking program that will launch both carts, connect to the stdout of A and to the stdin of B and pass the data. I wrote the following Python script:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #apa64_tictactoe1-0 | 2020-07-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Woohoo I made my first game! Quite ugly (both graphics and code) but correctly working 3x3 tic-tac-toe for 2 players, no computer opponent. Also available at GitHub.

0 comments

Cart #snerf-1 | 2020-07-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So I'm obviously following the roguelike tutorial from LazyDevs, I'm on the combat section where we add a flash to indicate damage done by the player to the mobs and I'm using multicolored mobs, which is fine. But everything else that uses or shares the same color with the mob will also flash when the player deal damage to the mob, and one of the mobs doesn't seem to be drawn correctly as the others, as you can see in the cart I have little yellow dots to indicate space and how far apart something is and the mob in question is being drawn above the dots where as the others are being drawn underneath. The one that's drawn above is the only one that makes other things that share the same color as the mob flash when damaged. So idk what the hell is going on lol if anyone can explain or help me out with is I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

1 comment

Cart #obstamusic-1 | 2020-07-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #namelesspong-0 | 2020-07-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's just 2 player pong.

Controls:
P1: arrow keys
P2: S-F moves left and right

I made this just to learn how PICO-8 works.

0 comments

Hi,
This is the release of PicoMage, my PICO-8 fantasy card game remake of ArcoMage / Ants.

Current Version 1.1:

Cart #picomage-1 | 2020-07-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The basic rules are:

You play as the red mage and your goal is to defeat the blue mage.
You and the computer play one card each turn (and draw a new one at the beginning of the next turn).

For each card you have to pay bricks or weapons or crystals in order to play it.
Cards for building you castle usually cost bricks to play.
Attack cards cost weapons to play and crystal cards have varying effects.

If you have not enough resources, you can discard a card.

The number of builders determines how much bricks you get each round, the same applies to soldiers - weapons and magi - crystals.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Use your mind to pop those bubbles!

Cart #gapo_pium_pium-1 | 2020-07-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A dumb-down remake of the classic Super Pang.

-Move with left right arrow
-Shoot with Z/X

Complete all levels popping the bubbles, avoid them to keep you alive, and get your score to the top!

First time fiddling with PICO-8, and also first game released into the wild.

All feedback is welcome
^__^
[0x0]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

> load #is_word_40k

An earlier attempt at squeezing a dictionary into a single PICO-8 cartridge reached 7,500 words (6 letters maximum) using 12k of cart data by storing the distances between base-26 numbers representing words. Most word games don't need to search through a dictionary though -- they just need to know if a word exists or not.

This cartridge can give correct positive tests for the first 40,000 most common English words (using this dataset). When a word does not exist, it is correct 99% of the time -- so if you give it a garbage word ("wefuhiwuehf") it will claim it is a word 1% of the time. If given input that contains only triples of characters that appear somewhere in the 40k words ("thequo"), that accuracy drops to ~87%.

is_word_40k uses 22k of data -- a combination of gfx,map,sfx and code is used. So there isn't much space left over to actually make a game! The low accuracy for non-words and limited code space are constraints that will only suit certain types of games that rely on having a large dictionary (e.g. something similar to scrabble).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #tumufofese-0 | 2020-07-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi everyone!

This is a little project a friend and I banged out over a weekend to get familiar with game development and pico8. It's a bit rough around the edges, and we may come back to it in the future to really finish it properly.

In the meantime, all criticism is welcomed! and hopefully you find some enjoyment with it!

Controls:
Z - place tower (when cursor is on empty tile) / open upgrade menu (when cursor is on tower) / menu confirm
X - Dubstep shockwave / menu cancel

The heroic cowboy is trying to invade your lair!
Collect money to build and upgrade towers to hold him off!
Collect energy to unleash your sick beats and slow down the invader!

If you enjoy the art, be sure the visit the artist's website and give his other stuff a look! https://www.colinmalone.com/

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->