All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Once I buy pico-8(As @doczi_dominik said) How do I program or create a cart

19 comments

This:

a += b >>> c

Appears to evaluate as:

a = (a + b) >>> c

Which is not expected. :)

(Incidentally, the precedence of the custom operators isn't documented, and it surprised me that bit ops are looser than addition — since they're effectively multiplication/division. I know this is the precedence in C, but C's bitop precedence is completely wacky and was forced by its predecessor's use of | and & for both bitwise and logical operations in 1967! Alas, existing carts...)

4 comments

Cart #hotehotude-0 | 2020-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Second version!

I´ve polished the game a little bit and fixed some minor bugs

Novelties

New store: weaponry
New weapons: mega sword and club
SFX:I have improved (kinda) the sfx, because I didn´t like the old ones
Longer story

For those who didn´t play the original version(most of the people)

The Monk is a game in wich you play a monk who is in search of his true self
To do that he crosses deserts with foxes and snakes, while drinking water regularly, because it is super important

How to play

Use the arrows to move. You have got 30 seconds for each water jar you drink
If you run out of water, you die

Tips

Don´t use all your money on weapons, but weapons are also important. It´s all about equilibrium

[ Continue Reading.. ]

23 comments

Cart #tweetris1_1-3 | 2021-09-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Version 1.1: Fixed game over glitch that could occur when pieces were rotated the moment they appeared, pieces can now be rotated clockwise and counterclockwise.

This is a fully playable version of Tetris in fewer characters than a moderate-length email, including:

• Line removal
  • Level progression (speed increases after every 10 lines cleared)
  • 'Lines cleared' display
  • CW and CCW piece rotation
  • Soft drop button (with slight delay when next piece appears)

Controls:
L/R-------move piece
Down------soft drop
X-------rotate piece clockwise
O-------rotate piece counterclockwise

Fitting everything in this small a space was pretty tough. I had to cut a few corners, like leaving out the next piece preview, as well as logic to allow movement of blocks once they land, so overhangs are a nuisance. With all that said, though, I worked hard trying to make this an actually decent version of tetris and not just a technical curiousity, so hopefully somebody actually enjoys playing it instead of just staring at the indecipherable souce code. Shoutout to 2dArray, whose Tweetjam Tetris and its genius piece indexing system I built on for this project.

4 comments

Cart #virusbustertutorial-0 | 2020-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Virus Buster Example

A very basic version of Germ Buster or Dr. Mario.

Created as an example that I can work through with my kids.

Turned out to be a bit more complex than I realised but demonstrates a basic game loop and recursion.

0 comments

Cart #spys_demise-3 | 2020-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's SPY'S DEMISE (an old Apple ][ game) in a TweetTweetCart!

CONTROLS: Arrows right and left. Avoid RedFaces, climb ladders to get to Star!

Once you start moving, you can't stop until the edge, so keep steering to avoid RedFaces!

WORLD RECORD: @Tleprie on Itch.io, 41.66!

Have fun!

(Added a restart for un-minified cart!)

4 comments

Hi,

I've made a background for my game using tline, and while it works on windows, the exact same cart ran on the raspberry pi displays nothing, just black background.

I've tried on both Windows and Raspberry Pi using the latest 0.2.0h build of Pico-8.

Is tline not available on the Raspberry Pi? Or is this a bug that will be fixed later?

Many thanks

Cart #yuyuyamimu-0 | 2020-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

On the pi, no background:

6 comments

Cart #otrn_tt4-0 | 2020-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

It's the fourth TweetTweetJam! My entry for this Jam is a stripped-down OutRun clone in 559 characters.

There's a couple things I'm proud of in this cart, so I'm posting an annotated, less-minified version of it below.

Controls

Use left and right arrows and stay on the road as long as possible! Sorry, if you crash you may have to refresh the page or reload the PICO-8 widget.

Code

g,l=color,line
poke(24366,1)pal(2,139,1)x,f,k,n,v,z,c=0,0,1,32,0,1,64::_::camera(-c,-c)memcpy(0,88,c*c)n-=1if(n<0)n=8+rnd(30)v=rnd(14)-7
for i=490,512 do
poke4(4*i,peek4(4*i-4)+v/k)end
cls(12)for d=512,c,-1 do
q=(d+f)\40%2y=c*c/d
r=y/c*(x+peek4(4*d))l(-c,y,c,y,3-q)l(r-y,y,r+y,y,5)l(r,y,r+1,y,9-4*q)end
a=btn()&3
if(a%3>0)a=6-4*a
x+=a*3b=-a/2o="w"
?o,a-9,58,0
?o,a+6,58
?o,-a-7,57
?o,4-a,57
?z.."m",1-c,1-c
u=8h=8g(12)for y=56,60 do
s=-y/c
rectfill((a+u)*s,y+s*h+1,(a-u)*s,y)a+=b
g(8)u=10h=6
end
z+=k\11
flip()
?"oops",0,0
f+=k
if(k<22)k+=1
if(abs(r)<c)goto _

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

I mean...when we hit version 1.0.0 or so, we could make a game compilation/port for the Nintendo Switch. Just for the sake of fun and having more hardware to work with.

What do you all think?

7 comments

Cart #husotekaso-0 | 2020-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My second entry for TweetTweetJam 4. Chars used: 560.

Rules

Guide your guy to exit ▤stairs while avoiding the 🐱enemies and collecting ♥hearts & ◆picogems.

You can wrap around the edges of the screen - use this to your advantage for stylish dodges and pickups! Though beware: enemies can do this too. Watch your back :)

On each floor, an additional enemy/item will spawn.

Controls

• [⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️] Move

My high score on the final version is about 70◆.

This game was originally intended to be like Zelda, but ended up being more like Robotron without a gun. Enjoy.

Links

itch.io page

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #sebatudfi-0 | 2020-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:

Arrow keys - Match the arrow pattern
C - Hit C once pattern is finished

Description:

PICO-8 game with only 560 characters. Submission for TweetTweetJam4.
Match the arrow patterns before the time runs out! See if you can beat my hi-score of 210.
Check out the demo video of my hi-score: Speed Arrows Demo
Also check it out on itch.io: Speed Arrows Game

Video:

Code:

Copy and paste the following code into a clean PICO-8 file and you should be able to play it!

poke2(0x3200,2276)function x(n)if d!=n and j(l,#f+1,#f+1)==a

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=76072#p)
1 comment

Cart #wkedodako-0 | 2020-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hey @zep,

So we've discovered that 0x5f5e is a destination write mask if it's between 1 and 15, such that the write is now presumably something like this:

dest = (dest & ~writemask) | (color & writemask)

It'd be really great if the top four bits of 0x5f5e were a read mask, allowing us to select bitplanes from source pixels/colors:

dest = (dest & ~writemask) | (color & writemask & readmask)

This would be nice for packing fonts and such. It's already doable with pal(), that's true, but you have to set the entire palette to make it work, whereas you could set just the relevant colors with a read mask. Like, if you have a 1-bit font encoded into four layers, and you're picking the second layer, you'd only need to set pal(2,col) to make it work, instead of all 16.

2 comments

When I click the pencil in the new pattern / SFX mode of the pattern editor, I can't immediately copy the SFX by pressing ctrl-C (even though it says "copied 1 sfx")

6 comments

Just upgraded from 0.2.0d and this has mysteriously stopped working. No changes inside PICO-8, no errors. Don't see a mention of anything that could affect this in the changelog, so I assume it's unintentional?

9 comments

Hi PICO-8 community!

A couple of years ago, I found a puzzle game called "Star" in Rockbox - an open source media player firmware. It was a simple puzzle game in a 16x9 grid and re-creating it has been on my TODO list for about as many years as it seemed like it should be easy, plus I really enjoyed it (it's a bit like Sokoban).

Some reading revealed that it was already a remake, the manual said the following:
> It is actually a rewrite of Star, a game written by CDK designed for the hp48 calculator

Looking for the original got me to a Java (in the browser) version of the game, which didn't work because it's 2020 and... well, Java in the browser. A 5 minute attempt to get this running outside of the browser on MacOS was fruitless and I abandoned it because meh.

I've decided that I'd like to give this a go in PICO-8, which I bought for this purpose. I'm okay (not my day job) with writing code, but have zero experience with game development. The source for Star on Rockbox is

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Hi. To make a long story short, I've been trying to get PICOPi to work on my Pi 3.
Yes, I did get the right version of PICOPi, but Pico-8 wouldn't boot up for some reason.

This was happening with the 0.2.0d version, but I wonder if it's already fixed by now.

For those not in the know, PICOPi is a buildroot-based image. The website disappeared recently, but apparently you can access it through the Wayback Machine or something.

1 comment

Cart #conways_garden-1 | 2023-08-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little Conway's Game of Life simulation with some slight interactivity laid on top of it. Code is 280 characters. Arrow keys to move about and X to reset.

1 comment

Cart #p_harrier-0 | 2020-05-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

my tweettweetjam4 entry, based on the awesome froggy road by 2darray:

https://itch.io/jam/tweettweetjam/rate/331076

It's a pacifist endless space-harrier demake for pico-8, you can;t shoot but must avoid ground obstacles and projectiles (from invisible enemies!)

I'm having problems uploading it to itch.io, so I'll post it here for now

559 chars, here's source code:

x=64u=127z=0q=0h=0n=16y=x
d=0r,g,w=rnd,circfill,x::_::flip()cls(1)b=btn()
k=6((b\2)%2-b%2)x+=k;y=mid(n,y+6((b\8)%2-(b\4)%2),u)h+=.4if(z-h<1)z+=1
if(x<9or x>=u)q+=k/4x-=k
for b=z+n,z-1,-1 do
srand(b)p=(b-h+2)/24m=6+r(9)rectfill(0,w+9/p,u,u,9+b%2)for i=1,r(5)do

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->