BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #imis_dungeon_100-0 | 2020-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello, Everyone!
This is my second game... in PICO-8.
It's been several years since my first game in PICO-8.

The game is about two adventurers went into a dungeon seeking for a treasure.
Help those two adventurers solve the dungeon floor and go to the next floor together.
Both adventurers also move to the same direction and if even one adventure is down, the level restarts so move carefully.
Game also unlocks gallery whenever player finishes certain levels.

Feedbacks are welcome and appreciated!

--

==Changelog==

v1 (May 5th, 2020)
*First Release

18 comments

Cart #bubblebobble-1 | 2020-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

90 levels of 1 or 2 player 80s-style arcade fun.

Windows executable: https://pahammond.itch.io/bubble-bobble

Controls

To prevent [Up] from jumping when using controllers, press either [A] on the controller or the PICO-8 [O] button (Z on the keyboard) to start.

Player 1

[←] and [→] to move
[↑] jump
[X] fire

Player 2

[S] and [F] to move
[E] jump
[A] fire

Thanks To

• Finn and Lucas for testing
  • Many low-res graphics thanks to dwedit.org & @justin_cyr
  • PICO-8 for creating an awesome "fantasy console"
  • https://lostcave.wordpress.com/ for providing inspiration and a few level layouts

Minified using the GEM Minifier:
https://pahammond.itch.io/gem-minify

Unminified code can be downloaded from:
https://pahammond.itch.io/bubble-bobble

24 comments

I just bought PICO-8 and I'm excited to get to learning how it works, but after experimenting for a little bit in the editor, there were a few things that were really bothering me -- I'm asking here to see if I'm just doing something wrong, or if there are devkit mods/hacks to fix these things.

1. Is it possible to enable stereo audio somehow? I'm guessing no, but is there a hack/mod that adds this in? I like the limitations of the music editor as it is for the most part, but for some reason the lack of panning bothers me. I really want to get some nice ping-pongy waterfall stereo arpeggios!

2. Is there some way I can somehow force Lua to act like arrays are 0-indexed instead of 1-indexed? Some kind of macro or precompiler?

3. Is there a way to delete notes in the tracker "in-place" -- without everything after that moving backwards? It really messes with the rhythms, and as far as I can tell there's no way to insert a blank space back in to push things back where they belong. So every time I want to delete a note, I have to either move to the volume section, enter a zero, and move back, or press backspace and then copy-paste everything back where it should be

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #retrowave_demo-0 | 2020-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #picobus-1 | 2020-05-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Now you can have the entire thrilling experience of Desert Bus on your Pico-8! 216 lines of code! 9 sprites! 8 hours of driving!

Move left and right to stay on the road as you fight against your bus' troublesome drift! With exciting features such as: a honkable horn! A stunning view of cacti and rocks! The comforting rumble of your engine!

Can you survive the journey!?!

Updated Version:

• Added an Easter Egg
  • Added the fly on the windshield (4 Hours In)
  • Added a Restart option on Game Over
3 comments

this happened to me a couple of times in the last few days, and just now: I left pico-8 running (not a cart, console prompt) and found it completely irresponsive after something like two hours...

windows 10, pc didn't go to sleep (I usually manually Win+L, but not those times)
edit: 0.2.0d - missed an update ;)

7 comments

Turn your 2D game into a 3D game!

That's 50% extra D!
100% guaranteed to work, sometimes, if you're lucky.
Simply paste this into the top of your 2D game, and be the envy of all your 2D coding friends!!!1!1

(OK, I'll stop now.)

This works best for top down games like "Pic-oh mummy!" by @Hokutoy, "Pakutto boy" by @Konimiru (both pictured)
Admittedly it's more of a gimmick/experiment - the result isn't very playable due to not being able to see the whole play area.

I mainly just wanted to see if it would work :)

_={
 map=map,
 spr=spr,
 sspr=sspr,
 pset=pset,
 circ=circ,
 camera=camera,
 cx=0,
 cy=0,
 cyoff=32,
 ch=32,
 d=128,
 ymid=0,
 s2w=function(x,y)
  return (x-_.cx)-64,_.ch,128-(y-_.cy)
 end,
 proj=function(x,y,z)
  local scale=_.d/z
  return x*scale+64,y*scale+_.ymid,scale

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=75793#p)
40 comments

Cart #mem-0 | 2020-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

About

Mini Ex Machina (Mem) is based on the PC game Ex Machina aka Hard Truck Apocalypse, released in 2005, set in a strange world where people wear masks and drive trucks. This world is dangerous, but full of unexplored lands and adventures. This time the hero finds himself in a remote valley formed near the Ural mountains after the cataclysm. The lay of the land in this anomalous area changes every time one enters it, but the goal stays the same - to find the way home.

How to play

Your truck can crush enemies, and shoot at them (after you find and eqip a weapon). You can carry a little cargo in the trunk and install various upgrades on your truck. When in town, sell and buy goods, take tasks from mayors and advance the story.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #firedino-0 | 2020-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Be a fire-breathing dinosaur and save your valley from the evil skull lord.
[128x128]

itch.io page

Controls:

• Arrow keys: Move
  • Z: Jump
  • X: Fire

Submission for the Bitter Jam

2 comments

Cart #scombo-4 | 2020-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Backstory

Wayde finds himself in a bit of a pickle when ghosts start haunting his camp ground! Only using his speed, wits, and a few turtle shells Wayde can stop the ghosts from ruining his nap!

Concept

Scombo is a high score based action game about stringing combos together with shells, the more ghosts you kill with one shell, the better your score!

Rules

The basic rule/objective of the game is to try and hit as many ghosts with one shell as possible. The more ghosts you hit, the higher your score goes!

Controls

The up and down arrow keys move Wayde in the corresponding direction, Z fires the shell!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

More of a question or feature request than a bug...

Is it possible to create a standalone executable and HTML export without the boot screen?

If this isn't currently supported it would be worth considering even if positioned as a "Pro" level feature. I'd pay extra for that feature.

Thanks

2 comments

I released a game onto itch.io for the first time!

https://enzogray.itch.io/tumbleblox

0 comments

The slide effect works great on a loop that starts at a note greater than 0, sliding smoothly from the final note of the loop back to the first, but if the loop starts at note 0, it steps instead of sliding.

This doesn't feel like expected/reasonable behavior to me.

Here's a repro/demo that lets you swap loop points, swap volume vs. pitch sliding, and swap sine wave vs. noise.

Cart #siyifutoga-0 | 2020-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #wajapayesu-0 | 2020-05-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Entry for OHGJ 262th. Theme: Time Travel.

I really run out of time^^.

0 comments

Cart #hexo_puzzler2-0 | 2020-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Slide around 5 challenging boards, merging hexagons into matching triangles.

Mesmerizing and contemplative game play rewards thinking ahead and changing your plans. Chill music is chill.
Post your high scores in the comments! These levels are beatable, at least the first three.

Pretty self explanatory if you play around a bit.

This is my first Pico 8 game and the first thing I've programmed since high school 20X6 years ago.

Advanced Rules:

Blocks merge up the rainbow: purple -> blue -> green -> yellow -> orange -> red
Blocks slide in 6 directions and merge once they finish moving.
You cannot tilt the same direction twice in a row.
Blocks merge into the column in the falling direction with 2 merging blocks.
12 comments

Cart #station_8-0 | 2020-05-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Explore a research station.

There are a total of 4 Power Modules on the Station.

(You can toggle the speedrun timer in the pause menu.)

Also on here: https://klehrik.itch.io/station-8

Side note: Does anyone know a way to change username?

13 comments

shr(x,n) and lshr(x,n) have always handled shift values outside the 0…31 range in a peculiar way: negative values of n are treated like n&31, while values ≥ 32 always return 0 (or 0xffff.ffff for a signed shift).

But now the new >>> operator diverges from lshr by treating n ≥ 32 like n&31, so we get:

1 >> 32 = 0
 shr(1,32) = 0
  1 >>> 32 = 1
lshr(1,32) = 0

edit: same with << which no longer behaves like shl()

7 comments

Cart #donsol8_v1-14 | 2022-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a PICO-8 port of Donsol by John Eternal and Hundred Rabbits, a dungeon-crawler game built around a deck of 54 cards.

INSTRUCTION BOOKLET

RND Software thanks you for selecting Donsol for the PICO-8 system. Please read these instructions before starting for maximum enjoyment of this game.

STORY

After a long evening of playing cards at the local tavern, you head off home to get some sleep, but something goes wrong. You suddenly find yourself trapped in a nightmarish dungeon, which is infested with fiends, monsters and wicked witches intent on making sure you stay trapped in the dungeon forever. As you suddenly seem unable to find any exits, your amulet warns you that a strong curse has been placed on the dungeon by these same monsters. Armed only with your trusty dagger, will you be able to eliminate all the monsters, dispel the curse that prevents you from leaving and exit the dungeon, or will you suffer the wrath of the Donsols?

YOUR QUEST

It's clear that as long as the dungeon is cursed, it will be impossible to leave it. Since the best way to break a curse is to destroy the creature that cast it, the only way out is to completely purge the dungeon of evil. Luckily, the dungeon isn't just inhabited with dark and fiendish monsters -- you can clearly see helpful shields, healing potions and mages shining with red light. Use them carefully to stay alive while clearing the dungeon and you will surely find your way out!

CONTROLLING THE GAME

This is a single-player game. Only use the controller connected to Control Port 1.

D-Button

• On the title screen, use the left and right directions to pick the difficulty level.

• During gameplay, use left and right to choose a card, or press up or down to select the "run" or "restart" options.

Cross Button

• This button is never used in this game.

Circle Button

• On the title screen, use this button to start the game.

• During gameplay, use this button to flip the selected card, or to use the "run" or "restart" button when it's selected.

Pause Button

• Use this button to pause the game and display the Pause Menu.

MOUSE CONTROLS

In addition, if you have a PICO-8 Mouse or compatible device, you can plug it into the Expansion Port. The moment you click a mouse button, the game will display a mouse cursor. It will be red when the cursor is over an interactable object and gray otherwise. To interact, use the left, right or middle mouse button. If you want to use the regular controller again, just press the Circle Button or the Cross Button, and mouse controls will be disabled.

• On the title screen, clicking on the left or right part of the screen is used to select the difficulty level. Clicking in the middle of the screen is used to start the game.

• In game, clicking over one of the four card in your hand will select that card. Clicking over the "Run" button will escape the room, if possible. If the game is over, clicking anywhere restarts the game.

TITLE SCREEN

After you turn on the game, you will see the title screen. Here, you can select the difficulty level for the game by using the left and right directions on the D-Button and pressing the Circle Button to select. Alternatively, you can choose the "CREDITS" option to see the names of the people responsible for making the game.

MAIN SCREEN

1. Your health points

2. Your shield's durability (if available) and defense

3. Your experience (number of cards flipped)

4. "Run" / "Restart" button

5. Name of currently selected card

6. A flipped card

7. An unselected card

8. A selected card and its cursor

9. Status messages

On this screen, you see your current status, the cards comprising the current room of the dungeon and the last status message. Your task is to clear the dungeon by flipping all 54 cards of the deck. To do that, use the left and right directions on the D-Button to select a card and then press the Circle Button to flip it. Different cards have different effects:

♠Spades and ♣Clubs -- Monsters

The spades(♠) and clubs(♣) are the dungeon's monsters. When you flip them, they will attack you, dealing damage equal to their value. If you survive the attack, you defeat the monster.

(Every time you flip any card, your XP value goes up by one. When it reaches 54, this means that there are no cards left in the dungeon and you win the game.)

♦Diamonds -- Shields

The diamonds (♦) are shields and helpful red mages. When you flip them, you equip the shield (or recruit the mage) to provide defense from monster attacks. When a monster attacks you, the shield will reduce the amount of damage you take by its own value. If the monster is weaker than the shield's defense, their attack will not hurt you at all!

However, there's a catch. After a monster hits you while shielded, your protection will weaken and will be unable to withstand attacks from equal or stronger monsters without breaking and leaving you unguarded. To prevent that, be sure to attack stronger monsters before weaker ones!

When you flip a diamond card while already protected, you replace the old card's protection with the new card's. You can't hold two shields at once, and the red mages' defensive spells don't work when you have a shield.

(The "durability" and "defense" values in the HUD display the maximum attack your protection can withstand and the amount of damage it can repel. For example, if it says "8/6", that means you will not lose 6 health points when attacked by monsters of strength 8 or less. If there's only one number, then your protection has not yet been touched. For example, "10" means you have a Large Shield capable of avoiding 10 points of damage from any monster.)

♥Hearts -- Potions

The hearts (♥) are potions and helpful white mages. When you flip them, you will consume the potion (or ask for help) and they will restore an amount of health equal to their value.

However, there's another catch. The potions' and mages' restorative magic doesn't like being overused, and if you try to use two or more heart cards in a row, the latter ones will do nothing. An hourglass symbol above the health meter will warn you if healing up is useless.

(No matter what, you can't have more than 21 health points.)

🃏Jokers -- Donsols

The two joker (🃏) cards are Donsols -- extremely powerful monsters that rule this dungeon. In fact, they are so strong, that meeting them without an untouched shield is sure to end your journey once and for all! Be extremely cautious in rooms with them.

Running away

If you feel like you can't deal with the room you're in, you may want to try running away from it. To do that, use the up or down directions on the D-Button so that the "Run" button is selected, and then press the Circle Button.

The curse of the dungeon may have made it very hard to navigate, but sometimes you still have the opportunity to quickly escape into a different room with a new set of cards in it. The flipped cards will not reappear, but you will still have to deal with the rest eventually -- hopefully with better equipment and in better health.

The situations in which you can escape depend on your difficulty level:

• On EASY, you can escape any rooms that don't have monsters left or if you haven't escaped from the previous room.
  • On NORMAL, you can only escape if you haven't escaped from the previous room.
  • On HARD, you can only escape if the room you're in doesn't have monsters left.
  • On EXPERT, you can't run from any rooms at all.

Luckily, the dungeon's curse only gains its full power once you've interacted with any of its inhabitants. If you haven't attacked any monsters, equipped any defense or healed yourself up (i.e. your XP is 0), you can always run from rooms. Use this to find a starting room that lets you survive the dungeon more easily.

PAUSE MENU

Pressing the Pause Button at any time will open the Pause Menu with the following options:

• Continue - Resume playing the game back where you left off.
  • Trad. Suits - The minimalist suit graphics used in Donsol may be confusing to some users. By enabling this option, the suit graphics will be replaced with ones more like those used in traditional playing card decks.
  • ⬅️ English ➡️ - Change the language that the game uses by using the left and right directions on the D-Button. The game can be played in English, in Russian, or in toki pona.
  • Reset Cart - Restart the game from the title screen. This is the only way to change the difficulty level once it's been selected.

Use the up and down directions on the D-Button to select an option and press either the Cross Button, the Circle Button or the Pause Button to select the item you want.

HINTS AND STRATEGIES

• If your shield breaks, you receive the full damage of the attack. That's why it's better to have a weak shield that hasn't been touched by monsters than a strong one that already has low durability.

• If you've defeated all monsters in a room and you see potions and shields you don't need, it's best to run away from that room. That way, those shields and potions may find themselves useful later!

• Donsols have an attack value of 21 -- higher than all other monsters and equal to your maximum health. Don't even think of attacking them without a brand-new shield!

CARTRIDGE SAFETY WARNINGS

A PICO-8 cartridge is a delicate electronic device and must be handled carefully. Please abide by the following rules to make sure the cartridge lasts as long as possible:

• Do not expose the cartridge to extreme temperatures.

• Do not try to dismantle or break apart the cartridge.

• Keep both the cartridge's and the PICO-8 system's connectors clean. Do not use water to clean the connectors.

RND Software and Lexaloffle Games are not liable for damage caused to the game cartridge or the PICO-8 system if these rules are violated or if the damage is caused by abusing the game or the system.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #summitshake-1 | 2020-05-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

OVERVIEW

Being a mountain is tough. It's always cold and windy. Moving around takes a while. It's also hard to get some sleep because humans relentlessly scale you. Wouldn't it be nice if they took a tiny tumble down a steep slope? As it turns out, a brief shake is all it takes to have those climbers lose their footing. But will crippling their compatriots be enough to discourage them?

CONTROLS (DPAD)

• LEFT/RIGHT: Target a side.
  • DOWN: Shake targeted side.

REFLECTIONS

This is the first game I've made on PICO-8 so constructive criticism is very welcome. I couldn't have done this without my artist/idea-person/sister Humanic.
I submitted this to the Dream Arcade Archive jam but it was adapted from my unfinished concept for Mini Jam 53, the theme of which was, you guessed it: Summit. It could be more arcadey but I wanted to move on to my next game thing. I'm not opposed to revising but I want to stumble through a few more projects first.

Thanks for playing and reading! Hope you were able to feel some positive emotions from this experience.

1 comment

Hello! This is my first attempt at coding a game and I've come across a hiccup.

What I'm trying to do is create a sort of track that the player can follow by restricting movement based on the sprite number of the map tile at the x,y location of the player sprite. The restriction functions seem to be working but the displayed map seems to be off from the "location" of the player. I've read there are some discrepancies to the coordinate planes for the map and the screen and this is the closest I've gotten by trying to implement suggestions from the web, but things are still a bit wonky.

I've created a little display of the sprite that the restrictions are being derived from.

Any help understanding what I'm mixing up here would be much appreciated!

Cart #gutsmaze-0 | 2020-05-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->