BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #yakomafow-0 | 2020-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First game! This was mostly a learning exercise, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Having a blast with Pico-8 so far, and ready to keep exploring what I can do with it!

0 comments

Cart #rotatingcylinder-0 | 2020-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Use the arrow keys to adjust the size.

0 comments

Hey there,

according from the Wiki-Page about Memory, it is unclear what a Poke to address 0x5f5e does, right?

0x5f5e-0x5f7f / 24414-24447

The remaining registers up to 0x5f7f are undocumented.

I was playing around a bit and found something out: It seems to "reduce" the Colors that can be used. For example, poking a "1" reduce the Palette to only 2 Colors, Black and Dark-Blue.

A simple Description: It seems that poking around 0x5f5e is some sort of "pal" all over the Color-Palette, but also prevents you to "pal" another Color. For Example: If you poke a "1", "pal" is limited to set a Color to blue or black only.

I just uploaded a Cartridge where you could play around with that:

Cart #poke0x5f5edemo-1 | 2020-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Just a few things I thought I’d share. Sorry if it’s gibberish and/or uninteresting to most people.

Many carts store extra data in the code section, most of the time inside strings. Some people will store structured data such as JSON or JSON-like data and let the PICO-8 compression mechanism deal with it, but you must have seen people who rolled their own compression mechanism and use custom formats such as modified base64 that takes advantage of the 59 “good” characters (i.e. the ones that needed only one byte of storage in the .p8.png format instead of two).

-- custom base64 data
local data = "e*!jfg57yfl+[7dmrin_bt#0/g6!1y68(.xh.ata_kn3j7!un_s+jn5..a)s8xi/ou0/{ff)ec}["

Such base64 data encodes 6 bits of information per character, and requires an average of 8.625 bits per character on the old format cartridge (pre-0.2.0). It means that this “alphabet” gave us about 5.565 bits of information per byte on the cartridge (8 * 6 / 8.625).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

If you display the code on this cart, you'll see some unknown symbols in the header comment.

Here's a comparison of how they look in PICO-8 vs. how they look on the BBS:

I assume this means the BBS doesn't do the glyph->unicode conversion trick.

1 comment

Cart #gs-0 | 2020-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

For my first "complete" Pico-8 game, I thought I'd start with something simple.

Who likes Snake?

0 comments

Unofficial PICO-8 port of fliqlo screensaver

Fliqlo is a free app that turn your mac/windows into a flip clock by Yuji Adachi

fliqlo.com

Use this cart for your smartwatch projet, pico-8 frame or any pico-8 device to show the passage of time in an elegant way

Cart #flipclock-0 | 2020-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This cart was made during the boringness of the 2020 covid19 lockdown

1.3 changelog

• New cart name: FLIP CLOCK
  • AM/PM information moved on the same line as digits
  • Fixed: 00:00 was showed as 0:00

1.2 changelog

• ADDED FLIPPING ANIMATIONS
  • Small bugfixes

1.1 changelog

• Switch time format with O, X or Click
  • Hours doesn't show the first 0 anymore. (09:32 is now displayed as 9:32)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Hey guys, I’m really new to this so excuse my naivety, I’ve just spent all day setting up my Pico 8 on my handheld Raspberry pi 3b In emulationstation and now getting games to boot, but I can only use a plugged in keyboard and can’t register any of my button presses in game... what do I need to do or edit to map my buttons and joystick please??
Thanks in advance
S

0 comments

This bug may have been in place for the last several versions, not sure why I haven't reported it yet.

In older versions, hitting ctrl-z would show you your undone text change and then hitting ctrl-z again
would actually move the cursor to its previous position.

These actions appear to be combined in recent versions as the cursor will frequently jump away from the text
that I had changed.

A minor annoyance, but I think some other folks have noticed it talking in the discord.

1 comment

27/8/20:

added the smallest bit of environmental storytelling and small tweaks to the design and audio mix.

the finished product is out tomorrow!

Cart #obsta15-1 | 2020-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

23/8/20:

more sound and music by @AliceB! skipped over 0.13 cos that's build featured all of the music before it was implemented in the code

if you can fill this form in i will be very happy

FEEDBACK FORM: https://forms.gle/QsyQEUHpY4aWDWGL8

Cart #obsta14-0 | 2020-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Hello,
I’m a new user today and I’m hoping someone could help please! I have downloaded the Pico8 software and transferred it to my Raspberry pi 3 handheld and it shows up in emulationstation etc so I’ve got this far but now, after adding the .p8.png cart images to the folder they do show up, but then when I launch it the screen goes black and sends me back to emulationstation! Does anyone know what I’m doing or have done wrong please? Any help is much appreciated Thankyou

S

11 comments

Cart #wordomino-0 | 2020-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Arrow Keys to move Dominoes, and Z/X to rotate

Here's a fun little word game I prototyped a little while back! Only four letter and five letter words will cause the dominoes to clear, partially because three letters are too short, and because storing 6,7, and 8 letter words inside of Pico-8 sounded above my skill-level and/or impossible. Hope you enjoy!

0 comments

Cart #friendly_fire-0 | 2020-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Been working on my first Pico 8 game for the last few days. Thought it was finally "okay" enough to share!

This is Friendly Fire! An arcade-y SHMUP like game where you control 2 ships at once in reverse directions. Enemies come at you from the middle pointing either left or right, it's your job to stop them from reaching either border, and to also not ram into your own bullets.

Bullets cannot hurt the border, that includes enemy bullets and your own, but they CAN hurt everything else, including you. Basically, don't hit yourself, and don't hit the enemies.

Controls:

Up/Down arrows - Move up or down, both ships move in opposite directions to each other

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #widuzizeme-0 | 2020-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #tinehopiri-1 | 2020-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

massively multiplayer one button local game. each player has one key to press!

1 comment

Soo... I bought a raspberry pi zero and I'm trying to get it to work so I can run and create pico 8 games on it. But every time I try to make it boot, it does this:

In short, it does nothing. Has anyone had this problem and maybe solved it? Thanks!

Oh, and we should have a name for pi's that run pico 8 games that we all use.

(I tried to load the raspberry logo into pico 8. it didn't work)

13 comments

So.. let's say that someone tells how to have infinite health in the comments of a game called "banana run". Should there be a "Report as Revealed Easter Egg"? This would help conceal the secrets of the game. Do you think there should be this? Or should it only be available to the dev?
NOTE: I have not heard anything about this being added. I just thought it would be handy.

4 comments

With 0.2 onwards I noticed that cmd+w now closes pico8, whereas before I used it a lot to jump to the beginning of the line. However, cmd+e still jumps to the end of the line, which is rather inconsistent!

I don't know which functionality is really intended (since cmd+w is a valid closing shortcut on Mac), and if cmd+w/cmd+e was ever intended to be used (ctrl+w/e also work), but I think the inconsistency should be looked at at some point.

I'm on a MacBook Pro with MacOS Catalina 10.15.4

0 comments

Was confused by the upload mechanism and ended up with some redundant unlisted carts in my uploads (listed in "add cartridge" > "select from uploads"). How do I remove these? I don't see any way to delete them.

2 comments

Cart #snakeweaver-2 | 2020-05-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A prototype of a game that is sort of a combination of Nibbles and Sokoban, but also the snake is explicitly allowed to weave over and under itself.

Inspired by a drawing by Loren Schmidt: https://twitter.com/lorenschmidt/status/1253546559469387776

Version 1 is a prototype. It contains a few demonstration levels, and a bunch of empty ones. It also includes a built-in editor. Press ENTER to open the cart menu and edit levels. See the source code for more instructions.

Creator: https://www.patreon.com/posts/37040199

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->