Follow
paulxthompson

@paulxthompson on twitter
hollowearth.co.uk on the web
I made a robot out of lego to help draw comics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMKt7arTdgk

He/Him. Comics, Cooking, Photographs, Boardgames, Prints, Painting and Drawing, IT/Web.
Recently trying out being a Game Developer and DJ.

North Shields, UK.

[ :: Read More :: ]

Hello Folks,
I hope you enjoy my first Pico8 game. I’m really pleased with how it came out and I’ve found Pico8 excellent to use: as a result I think it’s the first of many games I’ve started making that actually gets to something like finished. This is my tribute to the games I grew up on with the 48k ZX Spectrum in the early 80’s, so if you were around at the time you’ll spot quite a few references I hope.

(UPDATED VERSION)

Cart #53768 | 2018-06-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The Legend of Dracenstein!

Destroy either Van Helsing (found in the Cathedral) or Victor Frankenstein (found in the Castle)

Get High Scores by collecting Blood Goblets, Completing Levels Fast or Destroying the hated enemies! 18 Levels (though you’ll likely see around half a dozen on a play through as each screen has two possible exits).

Evade Captain Nemo in the Nautilus!

Sacrifice The Artilleryman to his own washing machine and collect his blood!

Beware the Ossuary!

You have six Franks and six Dracula. Exit levels by using the blue box or brown pool portals (I wanted to make these sparkle a bit to draw attention but ran out of time and tokens)

Arrow Keys to move - movement is based on Pacman/Hungry Horace in that they'll keep moving until you change direction or hit a wall. This enables players to swap between characters while the other is still in motion. A breakable piece of wall can be used as an anchor.

X switches between Frankenstein and Dracula
Frankenstein + Z = Punch doors, open cracks in walls, break crucifixes.
Dracula blows up if he goes near a Crucifix.
Dracula + Z = Teleport through two squares worth of the same material.

Let me know how you get on (and thanks to everyone who offered advice and assistance, and to chowyunbrent for pointing me in the direction of pico8).

Best, Paul @paulxthompson

P#53354 2018-06-07 08:48 ( Edited 2018-08-15 14:06)

[ :: Read More :: ]

Hi Folks,
First time poster here - having a great time learning Pico-8 and enjoying making a nice maze game and a 36 year old ambition to create a sequel to the ZX Spectrum's Hungry Horace. So...

I have a two channel baseline that I want to keep throughout the game, but would like to fade in channels three and four based on events in game - how far through the level people are, presence of certain beasties, or just at random, etc - and keep it in time with the other channels.

Suspect I could create each variant as a Pattern on its own, but I can't see an ability to control which pattern to move to when one ends.

Any ideas?

Thanks (and looking forward to showing off my first effort in a few weeks :-)
Paul

P#52823 2018-05-17 11:32 ( Edited 2018-05-20 19:21)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-18 16:40:19 | 0.076s | Q:14