Follow
fweez
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #49672 | 2018-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's a little sequencer groovebox thingy. It reads (and writes!) 16 notes from four sfx slots (10-13), which loop in pattern 0. It uses sfx 0-7 as instruments. Tempo can be changed, and the sequence can save into a p8 ("drummachine.p8" right now) if you want to use the sequences somewhere else.

Click on a waveform (one of the colored, labeled buttons in the upper right), then click on a button in the sequencer area (the lower 4 rows) to set that waveform to play at that note. Each vertical row plays simultaneously.

The waveforms are intended to be: kick, snare, open hi hat, closed hi hat, crash, cowbell, bloop, bleep. They need some work.

Click the upper left button to begin playback. The next button (labeled "s") saves the sequence. The last two buttons in that section control tempo; the first loop after setting the tempo can have a glitchy ending, for reasons I can't figure out.

It's controllable with the controller buttons, but was intended to be used with the mouse (or, better, a touchscreen like on the pocket chip).

Todos: Add the ability to create more patterns, and play through them. Improve the waveforms.

update: Improved the waveforms a bit. The cymbals are a lot less loud. I'm still not totally happy with the cowbell, bloop, and bleep.

I also fixed the silly error preventing the last waveform from playing, so now you can both bloop and bleep.

Finally dug out my pocket chip and tested this, and it works great on a touchscreen.

P#49495 2018-02-21 19:41 ( Edited 2018-02-26 22:26)

Shoot asteroids. Get ore. Upgrade your ship. Repeat.

This was built for the 1bit clicker jam. I stuck pretty close to the (truly stupid) basic clicker game concept -- just hammer on a button until you upgrade to the point you can leave it running in the background.

P#39630 2017-04-14 01:19 ( Edited 2017-04-23 22:20)

by fweez
Cart #31887 | 2016-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's fall in Portland, in the couple of weeks where we actually get some color on the deciduous trees. So, this.

This is a not-a-game which generates a tree in late summer, then over the course of 12 minutes goes through the seasons. If you're going to watch the whole sequence, I'd suggest you spend some time reloading the cart to generate a new tree until you find one you like the look of.

Todos if I ever come back to this:

• draw midsummer with blue skies (light gray is pretty accurate for Portland most of the year though)
  • draw the branches as filled polygons so the trunk isn't so spindly
  • add a regeneration pause menu item
P#31888 2016-10-27 01:16 ( Edited 2016-10-27 06:29)

Cart #31361 | 2016-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Kick Wizards is a 1-4 player beat 'em up inspired by the old TMNT and X-Men arcade games I pumped a thousand quarters into back in the mid-nineties.

tap (o) to cast punch -- on the web, player 1: z, player 2: tab
tap (x) to cast kick -- on the web, player 1: x, player 2: q

Hold the buttons to charge for a more powerful attack.

Charge a spell near a healing crystal to get some HP back

Players on the web will be limited to 2 players (player 2's arrow keys are sdfe); folks with the real PICO-8 console can play up to 4 at once.

If another player dies, living wizards can charge spells near the gravestone to resurrect the dead wizard.

This game is pretty difficult. Gamepads are strongly recommended.

v 1.2 Hopefully, v1.2 fixes the issue where the Dark Wizard sometimes gets stuck. Also fixes some textures on level 3.
v 1.3 More Dark Wizard fixes for issues reported on twitter. 3rd time's the charm, maybe? (Wait, but this is the 4th version...)
v 1.4 Hah uploaded a debug version
v 1.5 Updated with music, and more Dark Wizard fixes! Hopefully this is the last update for a while.
v 1.6 Sigh. Nope. Fixes another crash.

P#31203 2016-10-18 23:32 ( Edited 2016-10-26 22:44)

Straight from the back of a pizza parlor circa 1995, Kick Wizards is a 4 player beat-em-up styled after the TMNT and X-Men arcade games.

Tap the attack buttons to do quick attacks, hold them to charge the spells. With multiple players, if someone dies, charge a spell near their gravestone to ressurect them. Charging spells near healing crystals will gain you back some HP.

I've been working on this cart for about a month and a half; I started work on it just before The Lair was released. Hopefully there's room in the pico-8 universe for two D&D-themed beat-em-ups.

I'm currently working on finishing up the final boss behavior and building up a couple more levels of maps, but it's getting to be very very slow going since I am continually running up against the token limit. Each new feature requires a substantial refactor in order to open up 50 or 60 tokens. Minification pros, if you want to take a spin through my code and let me know if you see any easy wins, I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, let me know what you think. I'd especially like to hear about playtests with 2 or more players, that aspect of the game has had way less testing than single player.

P#28875 2016-09-20 12:30 ( Edited 2016-10-01 17:50)

Cart #26147 | 2016-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Stars and Bucks: A fairly stressful little game of memory. Make coffee drinks from the ingredients the baristabot sends down the conveyor belt, and hope your customers rate you high enough to keep your job! "Enjoy" playing.

This is my first PICO-8 game, so, the code is pretty rough. The gameplay is somewhat intentionally stressful and un-fun -- it's simulating a job, after all.

P#26150 2016-07-30 14:06 ( Edited 2016-07-31 11:07)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 09:30:36 | 0.073s | Q:23