Follow
Clipper
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #38085 | 2017-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game about a blob-thing called "Vic" who wants to climb a tower for some reason. Wrap around the screen the screen and collect powerups as you climb the endless tower. Also, all of the platforms are jump-through.

The powerups:
---Extra Vic: If you fall, the Extra Vic can send you to the top of the screen for a second chance.
---Rocket Shoes: The Rocket Shoes can send you flying really high. Useful for saving throws.
---Stopwatch: Stop the autoscroll for a few seconds.

Vic can only hold one powerup at a time, and collecting another one will replace whatever one he had before. They're activated with [x], and are consumed after use.

-

-

This is an old project of mine from 2005, which I previously submitted under the name Rogue Tower. I worked on it for a while, listening to feedback along the way, but I burned out eventually and lost my enthusiasm for the project. Although I did add to it now and then, I pretty much forgot about the project the rest of the time, focusing on other stuff.

It's not 100% finished, but it's finished enough that I can ship this and get it out of my system. That's not to say I don't care about Vic's Tower; I just wanted to resolve some unfinished business before I return to Pico-8 proper.

Changes from Rogue Tower:
---Visual touches
---Music
---Title Screen
---A bird appears now and then. It was originally going to be a hazard, but I'm too tired.
---The random generator spawns wide blocks as well now, though sometimes a narrow block will spawn over it.
---New premade layouts.
---[x] is used for powerups, rather than as a suicide button.
---The other powerups actually work now, of course.
---New sounds for the Stopwatch powerup.
---The wrapping system is improved.

P#38088 2017-03-07 18:29 ( Edited 2017-03-19 23:21)

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #15605 | 2015-10-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:

Button 1/Z - Jump
Button 2/X - Give Up
I'm not going to explain the arrow keys.

The game is about jumping up a series of pillars in the clouds. Endlessly. The layout of each level of the "tower" is chosen from a set of premade layouts, or randomly generated.

Notes:

-You'll wrap around horizontally when you go off the edge of the screen; you'll also need this to get past certain areas.
-The player only collides with the top part of the pillars. The rest of it doesn't matter.
-Item blocks are special blocks that sometimes appear on level-marking platforms (the ones with the tree), and you'll get a bonus when you collect them.
-So far, only the "time stop" block works; It stops the scrolling temporarily, mostly useful at higher levels with faster scroll speeds. The rest of the don't do anything yet, so just ignore them.
-The collision system is a bit buggy atm.
-Input in the web version is slightly laggy.

Todo:

-Add visual effects for the later levels.
-Add more rooms
-Title screen
-Music
-Possibly other stuff

Updates:

0.2:
-Added 2 new prefab rooms.
-Added random room generator.
-mapupdate() will also now choose whether to use the room generator or one of the prefabs, so you'll get both.
-The player no longer collides with the bottom or sides of the platforms, only the top. that means they're all jump-through platforms now.
-Introducing Item Blocks; see notes above. I might refine this system later, though.

-0.11:
-Fixed a fatal mistake in the jumping system.

08/03/2017: Updated here.

P#15312 2015-10-12 13:32 ( Edited 2017-03-17 16:40)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 09:19:56 | 0.068s | Q:11