Cart #16151 | 2015-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello everyone.

I bought pico8 like a week ago after my friend kept linking me awesome stuff on the forum here. The "exercise" and "now is fornever" ones were particularly inspiring to me.

On the weekend I sat down to make this scrolling background thing and then I just kept running with it. It's mostly a ton of lines, circles, and the mod operator. There isn't much point to it. You can press left and right to change speed, press up to randomise the palette, and down to reset those changes.

EDIT: 42 stars!

This is really cool, I'm glad to see that others are making cute little things which aren't strictly games, as that's what I'm working on now too!! Meow meow meow.

wooooow this is incredible

Great art! That's a pretty intense discussion. The shifting camera and loud footstep sfx make the conversation seem like more than philosophy.

Woah this is pretty genius.

beautiful! :3

Really nice art! I'm glad you did it!

damn this is hott

This needs to be my screen saver. :3
Looks wonderful.

Add "cat translator", i.e. instead of constant meowing generate sentences at runtime. They don't have to make sense, even it'd be better (funnier) if they wouldn't.

Okay.

MEOW MEOW MEOW.

MEOW.

MEOW MEOW?

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I started work on a kind of sentence generator, but in the end I figured it'd be more fun just leaving everything to the imagination. There's enough rhythm and change of pitch in the voices that you can almost come up with your own dialog in your head.

This is really cool. You get 500 internet cat points.

ng

(Couldn't help it)

ahhhh This is so cute and so well-animated, i mean you have the tails bounce and everything jeeez

Highly recommended: mute the cartridge, set it at the second-slowest speed, and play Chariots of Fire in the background. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSav51fVlKU

I really really enjoy this. It's exactly what it should be so that everyone can project their own emotions into this scenario and enjoy it at their own "pace." To me it seems kinda gloomy, it's not a rough hike but the weather, the landscape, the atmosphere are perfect for a conversation about literally anything.

I could watch this for hours and imagine what they talk about. It's so simple, but so much fun!

Something came to mind though when I watched this - how would players like an interactive version? Just two keys, each one assigned to making their respective cat talk - so that people could make their own "conversations." It's not much, but it would make for some fun minimalist-sandbox-game, I'm sure.

I just find that thought intriguing - I'm usually not a fan of "Hey, how about you make the game the way I think you should?", and I hope I'm not coming off like that - sorry if I do! :I
This little thing is perfect the way it is, and I think it should be left as it is!

Also congrats to 50 stars! Well deserved! <3

@archonics1: Too bad you can't upvote comments.

@Reineke: Your suggestion reminds me of Duck Game, which is just a random arena shooter on Steam, but it has a "quack button" and some Youtubers realized you can press it repeatedly to open and close the ducks' mouths while you talk. Like a sock puppet! It's hilarious, and I like the idea of a virtual sock puppet. Anywho, you don't necessarily need to apologize for making a suggestion, we can just remix the cart. That's what PICO-8 is for. Maybe I'll do that today.

Still a better story than Twilight. :)

I accidentally posted this game to /r/artgames... :)

@darkhog Hmmm... I don't know how you would translate "meow"*n to English... would be many many meows for each sentence

If this is about life, the universe, and everything, and the games with the white cat have corruptable/debug versions, does this mean she has powers?

I wanna see a game with these characters. or more cool animations. I like both.

very compelling storyline. i especially loved the part when it said, "meow". XD seriously though. this is amazing. :)

I have..
nothing to say..

( o)> - noot noot           noot noot - <(o )
(v )                                     ( v)
 ``                                       ´´  

We have no idea what they're saying but it's still awesome!!

I was just sitting at my desk at work and suddenly had a vivid recollection of this particular project, and needed to see it. I lost my Pico-8 account info so I ended up buying a new license, and after some searching... Here it is. Not sure what it is about it, but something is almost magical about how real it feels despite the limited nature of it, and the fact that they're cats. Love it.
Meow.

make an actual game about these two or I will.

Meow meow meow meow meow. (Translation: Man, this is deep)

I love your cartoonish style on every single one of your carts! so cute.

I now know the meaning of life.

lol. fantastic. i understand... everything

the random pallets are cursed

hmmmmmmmmmm what are they sayingggg?????????????????????????????

Am I misremembering, or did this cart and post loose the "ng"

this style and these cats, they seem... oddly familiar :s

Ah yes, the typical transfem communication.

[Please log in to post a comment]